Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPhone 8 earbuds work with iPhone 13?

I know nothing about earbuds. I never use them. I have at least one pair of new and unused buds I would like to send to my son if they will work. So... will they?

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 11:10 AM

5 replies

Jun 27, 2022 7:40 PM in response to MrHoffman

The iPhone 8 came with Lightning EarPods as well as a Lightning to 3.5mm audio adapter in some countries (but apparently not in the US). I'm guessing this is what the OP is asking about. Apple claims that it's compatible with all Lightning devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) with at least iOS 10.

EarPods with Lightning Connector - Apple

iPhone 8 - Technical Specifications

In the Box

• iPhone with iOS 13
    • EarPods with Lightning Connector
    • Lightning to USB Cable
    • USB Power Adapter
    • Documentation

Jun 27, 2022 7:18 PM in response to Mckait

If you have AirPods or AirPods Pro, yes, those will work.

“Earbuds” are what Apple called the old wired earpieces. Those need an adapter, but will work.

The following image shows the AirPods and AirPods Pro earpieces and cases.

AirPods first generation (not shown in the image) and second generation (shown) look identical.

All will work with current iPhone, as well as with other devices that support Bluetooth wireless networking.

Only potential wrinkle with any these is that the batteries may have failed from]\ having been stored. Apple can replace those.

Jun 27, 2022 11:50 AM in response to Mckait

Wired EarPods and other similar wired audio devices will work with a newer iPhone and iPad in conjunction with a Lightning to 3.5mm audio adapter, or with a USB-C to 3.5mm for the various iPad models with USB-C.

Apple removed the 3.5mm audio connector in 2017; with iPhone 7 and later.

Here is the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter: Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter - Apple

Pragmatically, that adapter might be worth nearly as much nowadays as are the EarPods that were once included.

Jun 27, 2022 1:01 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you ... and I'm sorry, I was not clear. I know zero about using these things, but want to know if they will work for my son..

These earbuds are not wired. I have never attempted to use them because I'm afraid of dropping them or and my dog getting to them and eating them. .. that would be no good at all, so they are still in the box. Do I still need an adaptor? Also, thank you for the link, much appreciated.

And if you could explain it to me like I am 8.. because not kidding. Know nothing about using them.

Will iPhone 8 earbuds work with iPhone 13?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.