Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband for macbook pro 2012

Hello there,

Just watched a video on older downloads for garage band.

And the producer stated that Apple said the only way would be is if you had the original software. Does this mean if you had the orginal software of the older version....then one could download the software, because i did orginally have garageband on my laptop, though it has now gone, so would I be able to download or receive from apple the older version.

Or is it referring to, if you still have the software, would be the only way you could use the older version of garage band.

Appreciate any information.

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 4:13 AM

Which system version is installed on your Mac?

If you purchased the Mac in 2012, it will have been delivered with GarageBand 11 , the old iLife version, probably on installer DVDs. If you have installer media, check, if they are still working with your current version. You can no longer update the old versions from the installer DVDs, however, as Apple removed all GarageBand 11 updaters from the support page.

If the software came preinstalled on the Mac, you may be able to download it, if you accepted the preinstalled GarageBand to your AppleID at the App Store. In that case you should be able to download the most recent version of the iLife11 GarageBand, version 6.0.5. To get any of the more recent GarageBand 10 versions, you would have to purchased GarageBand 10 at the AppStore, and that is not possible with an older system version. Having owned GarageBand 11, does not qualify you to download GarageBand 10, it is a major new release.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2022 4:13 AM in response to MUCHGRATITUDE

Which system version is installed on your Mac?

If you purchased the Mac in 2012, it will have been delivered with GarageBand 11 , the old iLife version, probably on installer DVDs. If you have installer media, check, if they are still working with your current version. You can no longer update the old versions from the installer DVDs, however, as Apple removed all GarageBand 11 updaters from the support page.

If the software came preinstalled on the Mac, you may be able to download it, if you accepted the preinstalled GarageBand to your AppleID at the App Store. In that case you should be able to download the most recent version of the iLife11 GarageBand, version 6.0.5. To get any of the more recent GarageBand 10 versions, you would have to purchased GarageBand 10 at the AppStore, and that is not possible with an older system version. Having owned GarageBand 11, does not qualify you to download GarageBand 10, it is a major new release.

Jun 29, 2022 3:12 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thank you for this.

It came as part of the apple software package that was purchased when purchasing the laptop.

So is it safe to say that the purchase is through APP store and would be there as don’t specifically recall going to sop store, though paying an itemised sum as part of the package when purchasing the laptop. Which you then received a card explaining the software and all the available apps on you MacBook.

Or is this not an App Store purchase?

Just came to me, a bit slow, excuse me 🤷😳, Ill sign in to the app

store and see what I can download, re: GarageBand

Please advise with any information.

thank you.

Garageband for macbook pro 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.