Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emptying Trash and copying files hang when end of progress bar is reached.

I have a late 2009 iMac running High Sierra (10.13.6).

I recently started having issues where emptying the Trash would hang when the progress bar reached the end. The cancel button would not work, and the only way to get rid of the progress indicator was to kill and relaunch Finder. The operation would be complete after this.

I then started to noticed that I was having issues copying files as well. Same thing. Progress bar hangs in a full state and can only be gotten rid of by relaunching Finder. However, in this case the operation has rarely been completed once Finder relaunches. This is much more inconvenient.

On the other hand, moving files does work without a hitch, which I find particularly puzzling.

I tried running First Aid from Disk Utility. I tried resetting permissions with a Terminal command. And I reviewed the permissions of the Trash in the Get Info window, and it appears to be correct. Not really sure what to try next, and I can't find any issues like this one online (probably because keywords flood me with more common Trash and file copying issues).

This issue appears to exist across all users on the machine. I even recently cloned my HDD using Disk Utility to a new SSD, and the problem continued to persist on the new drive as well (which isn't terribly surprising). Definitely open to suggestions here.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 12:39 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 28, 2022 12:52 PM in response to A-person-who-is-using-an-iMac

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the issue persists-

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.

On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Jun 28, 2022 1:45 PM in response to A-person-who-is-using-an-iMac

In that case, try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) and NVRAM/PRAM (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory)-

For the SMC-

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

For the NVRAM/PRAM

1. Shut down your iMac.
  2. Turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

If that doesn't work, even after reinstalling macOS (which I believe you said you did), then contacting Apple Support is your best bet - Mac - Official Apple Support

Jun 28, 2022 8:03 PM in response to A-person-who-is-using-an-iMac

Jeez, I figured it out. There's no way anyone would have guessed this. It was caused by my own stupidity.

A couple weeks ago I was having issues with the "startup disk almost full" pop-up appearing every minute (which is what prompted me to get the SSD I mentioned in the first post). To temporarily disable the message, I moved a file named "deleted" from System>Library>PrivateFrameworks>CacheDelete.framework to my Desktop. Why I was allowed to do this with system integrity turned on, I have no idea.

This disabled the pop-up, but did not start causing the problems mentioned right away, so I didn't make the connection they were related until a few minutes ago when I spotted the "deleted" file still sitting on my Desktop.

I just moved the file back to restore CacheDelete.framework to its initial state (which ironically did require me to disable system integrity), and now the problem is resolved.

Emptying Trash and copying files hang when end of progress bar is reached.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.