Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell if my iPhone is using LTE, VoLTE, or 4G?

My 2018 iPhone SE no longer has options for selecting LTE or 4G, as it once did. My carrier advised me to set it to VoLTE, but that's a problem since there are no such options.

Is there a way to know what type of connection my iPhone is using? The status bar used to show either 3G, LTE, or 4G, but now shows only the carrier name.

IMS Status shows Voice & SMS, which I believe should mean it's using either VoLTE or 4G. Right?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 12:54 PM

With the exception of a few carriers that used “4G” as a label for their HSPA+ (3.5G) networks, 4G is LTE.

With current carrier updates, you can not disable LTE, because if you did, you would not have any service at all as the 3G (including 3.5G) networks are either completely shut down or will be by the end of the year.

VoLTE is enabled by default with current carrier updates and can not be disabled as it is now required for service.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2022 12:54 PM in response to JustSomeOldGuy

With the exception of a few carriers that used “4G” as a label for their HSPA+ (3.5G) networks, 4G is LTE.

With current carrier updates, you can not disable LTE, because if you did, you would not have any service at all as the 3G (including 3.5G) networks are either completely shut down or will be by the end of the year.

VoLTE is enabled by default with current carrier updates and can not be disabled as it is now required for service.

How to tell if my iPhone is using LTE, VoLTE, or 4G?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.