Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable In-App Browser

Is it possible to disable/remove in-app browsers in all iOS apps and force them to always open links in Safari instead? My problem is you can open “not-approved sites” in apps by using the “back door method”. Therefore gaining entry to these sites. When an in-app browser opens, it’s history is not stored in Safari.

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 6:46 AM

What I did was a longer process, but I was determined.

I first downloaded an app called Covenant Eyes*. This is a stand alone browser, so you can still use the internet, there is no private browser, its self-blocking for unwanted content, and it can be monitored by a trusted partner. Then, I disabled Safari and the App Store; this is so your apps cannot open over to Safari (the app, not in app browser) and you cannot download any other browsers or apps**. Then, in Screen Time, block Limit Adult Content and block Google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc. This will block the entire domain from your browser based on the websites you want blocked.

The whole purpose of this was for example, you go to the YouTube app and go to the privacy policy, then you find a way to get to the actual Google browser. At that point, you would be able to surf the web without any history being recorded.

This has so far blocked any in-app browsers that I have been able to get in.

Please post any questions you have, I would be happy to answer.

* This app will cost $18.99 per month, but has some very good features

** The apps will still update automatically, but I have noticed that it doesn't do it all the time like normal.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 6:46 AM in response to Eliklein02

What I did was a longer process, but I was determined.

I first downloaded an app called Covenant Eyes*. This is a stand alone browser, so you can still use the internet, there is no private browser, its self-blocking for unwanted content, and it can be monitored by a trusted partner. Then, I disabled Safari and the App Store; this is so your apps cannot open over to Safari (the app, not in app browser) and you cannot download any other browsers or apps**. Then, in Screen Time, block Limit Adult Content and block Google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc. This will block the entire domain from your browser based on the websites you want blocked.

The whole purpose of this was for example, you go to the YouTube app and go to the privacy policy, then you find a way to get to the actual Google browser. At that point, you would be able to surf the web without any history being recorded.

This has so far blocked any in-app browsers that I have been able to get in.

Please post any questions you have, I would be happy to answer.

* This app will cost $18.99 per month, but has some very good features

** The apps will still update automatically, but I have noticed that it doesn't do it all the time like normal.

Jul 20, 2022 9:40 AM in response to logantabor

Regarding apps updating automatically it’s rolled out slowly unless you manually refresh in the AppStore. By the time an app update is out for 4 weeks it should be updated on your phone. Theres a way to manually refresh even if there’s no access to the AppStore. Under screentime settings >ITunes and AppStore Purchase > set deleting apps to allow. Then go to messages and on right below the text input area you should see an AppStore icon which will bring up the AppStore (you won’t be able to download anything because you have it set to don’t allow) but you can click on your profile icon on the top right and pull to refresh and click update all

Jul 20, 2022 6:58 AM in response to logantabor

Interesting.

Yeah I've heard of covenant eyes.

Many people in my community use it.

My problem was that in google voice even if safari was blocked in screen time, I can click on a link in google voice and it would go it, even tho restrictions blocked most sites, I figured out a way to bypass restrictions using a certain link. So I have to try to block the in-app browser. But I don't want to spend that much being that I'm already paying a lot for my laptop filter. So now I'm gonna look into a different filter that will hopefully work and it's much cheaper.

Enjoy.

Jul 20, 2022 7:03 AM in response to logantabor

Because many apps have in app browsers as you mentioned Blocking Safari alone is basically pointless. The correct method would be to go to screentime > content restrictions > web content. You can choose limit adult websites or allowed websites. Choosing allowed websites will give you access only to those sites that you choose to allow, no matter which browser you choose. So if you were to only allow apple.com, if you would then try to access any other site (it doesn’t make a difference if you’re using Safari itself or an in-app Safari) it will not let you access any other site other than apple.com

Jul 20, 2022 7:09 AM in response to Eliklein02

If you’re settings under screentime >web content is set to allowed websites only and you don’t allow any websites or you only apple.com, unless the device is jailbroken there should be no way to open any links other than your allowed websites.

If you want to use GenTech they filter all traffic coming to the device, so you’d gain that Apple Music streaming will be blocked but you can still load music onto your phone from your computer. (I’d try to avoid going to TAG at all costs)

Jul 20, 2022 8:37 AM in response to Eliklein02

So what you’re saying is that if under allowed websites only, you have it set to not allow any websites, you’d be able to access any site that you want? If yeah is it a bug? Or are you resetting the phone or signing out of the iCloud account?

If you post how you get around it, I may be able to help you figure out how to block it

Jul 20, 2022 9:34 AM in response to Eliklein02

Can I ask if you’re using a specific app to do this? Or any in app browser works? Also are you talking about website previews?

One more thing any app that has an in app browser is required to be rated 17+ on the AppStore. You can restrict apps to 12 rating and then you shouldn’t be able to access anything with an in app browser. The issue with doing this is GoogleVoice is rated 17+ for the above mentioned reason.

Disable In-App Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.