Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did apple remove the feature to move dock to another display by moving mouse to bottom of screen?

Did apple remove the feature to move dock to another display by moving mouse to bottom of screen?

A few months ago, I was flummoxed by my dock mysteriously moving from my macpro (M1) display to the connected external monitor (unimpressive brand) and then back to macpro display unbeknown to me.

After googling I found that this was indeed a MAC OS feature. Since you can't get the dock to show on both monitors at one time, the feature is (was?) if the dock is on display 1, move the mouse to the bottom of display 2 (where the dock is not shown), and 'Poof' like magic, the dock appears on display 2 (and subsequently, disappears from display 1)

At some point, in the last month or so ????, I noticed that this feature no longer worked. Now I can only permanently move the dock to one display or the other via system preferences.

Googling only results in people asking how to move the dock from one display to the other. Ironically, I no longer find information on the 'mysteriously disappeared feature'

So my question, Was this feature removed from the OS? I know there has been at least one OS update in the last month or so to my machine.

Thanks, hopefully, I explained the feature correctly. I don't want the requisite reply's explaining how to go to system preferences and move my dock to a different monitor, as I know how to do that.

-Thanks.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 7:56 AM

Yes, you explained it correctly, and the feature is still exists for me running macOS 12.4 Monterey.

Just holding the mouse cursor at the bottom of the screen without the dock should cause it to move there after a few seconds.

Similar questions

1 reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.