Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers: How to take a SUM and divide by 60

I have a column for Time where the input is in minutes and seconds that a task has taken at the bottom of the column I have a formula for SUM and every cell in that column. the sum function works, but I would like it to to show the SUM total in hours minutes and seconds. I have tried adding \60 to the formula, but that is invalid, can it be done?

Thanks in advance even if the answer is it can't be done.

Peter

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 9:51 AM

You can let Numbers do the date-time math for you. No need to worry about dividing by 60.

Or,

Or,

The important thing is to input the values as Duration (as span of time) using the input notation for duration you can see in the screenshot (options include: w, d, m, s, ms)

You can display the values in a different format if you want by choose the option you want under Data Format. But input them using the duration notation.

Note that in the example row 10 is defined as a Footer Row, so the SUM() can refer to the entire column of body cells.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2022 9:51 AM in response to Peter Weaver

You can let Numbers do the date-time math for you. No need to worry about dividing by 60.

Or,

Or,

The important thing is to input the values as Duration (as span of time) using the input notation for duration you can see in the screenshot (options include: w, d, m, s, ms)

You can display the values in a different format if you want by choose the option you want under Data Format. But input them using the duration notation.

Note that in the example row 10 is defined as a Footer Row, so the SUM() can refer to the entire column of body cells.

SG

Jun 29, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Peter Weaver

Hi Peter,

you don't have to divide by 60 to get the duration in hours minutes and second, just change the format for this cell

Here all cells are minutes and seconds

Cell B5 is the sum of B2:B4

Now I change format for cell B5 to hours, minutes and seconds

Hope I understood your question correctly, if not please post a screenshot of your table.

Ralf

Numbers: How to take a SUM and divide by 60

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.