Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Total hours worked

Hi all,

I keep trying to sum the total hours worked for a time sheet but am have a hard time understanding how to use duration formulas. Formulas at all in numbers, I'm use to excel and thought it would be fairly relative or the same and I'm stumped.

Basically as of now I have "in time" minus "out time" and it gives me a total number of hours for that day or part of day. Then I have at the bottom of that column a total section and when I try to sum it, and have it produce the answer in the cell format "Duration" DUR2HOURS it keeps changing it to automatic.

But that 3.520 number isnt even a correct number with a decimal. I have worked more than 3 hrs as you can see in G column. How can I go about fixing this, as sum hasnt worked either. Ive tried to research other community answers and even watch video but nothing answers this directly.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 8:14 AM

Instead of all those + you might consider using SUM.

SUM - Apple Support

If you want to to convert to decimal hours for further calculations, you could then wrap the sum in DUR2HOURS, something like:

=DUR2HOURS(SUM(<range of cells with your Durations>)

The forced conversion to Automatic may be happening because you have 0s in some of the cells that you are summing. Make sure you have Duration in all of them.

SG

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 8:14 AM in response to Bng280

Instead of all those + you might consider using SUM.

SUM - Apple Support

If you want to to convert to decimal hours for further calculations, you could then wrap the sum in DUR2HOURS, something like:

=DUR2HOURS(SUM(<range of cells with your Durations>)

The forced conversion to Automatic may be happening because you have 0s in some of the cells that you are summing. Make sure you have Duration in all of them.

SG

Dec 12, 2022 12:56 PM in response to Bng280

"Basically as of now I have "in time" minus "out time" and it gives me a total number of hours for that day or part of day."

Oops! That subtraction should produce a negative result. I suspect you have it right (Out time - In time) in the spreadsheet but accidentally reversed it here.

"But that 3.520 number isnt even a correct number with a decimal."

Actually, it is. A quick count of the hours, minutes and days recorded in column G gave a rough total of 83 hours. 83 divided by 24 hours is 3.45833333333333 days.

Take a closer look at the contents of column G, especially G11

Regards,

Barry

Numbers Total hours worked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.