Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil 2 stops charging suddenly overnight, even when docked

I've bought iPad air 4th generation and apple pencil 2 recently (less than 4 months) and they were both working fine, but since last month my apple pencil stops charging overnight even when left docked on the iPad. I made sure that I have left it correctly in the slot (by making sure that lightning symbol is there in the battery widget and pop up at the top of iPad screen as soon as you attach the pencil) before going to bed, but in the morning, when I check it it shows that the battery has gone down and also the lightning symbol was gone in the battery widget. When i slightly lift the pencil and leave it, it starts charging and goes on to become fully charged

I've tried restarting the ipad, unpairing and pairing the pencil, updating to the latest iOS, removing the iPad cover and then leaving it overnight, but nothing has worked

Have you guys also experienced this?

What do you guys suggest I do next?

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 1:19 AM

Moving the Pencil on its inductive charging dock may trigger a reconnection event - and may not necessarily be indicative of a fault.

A systematic approach to fault-finding may be required to localise the issue to either the Pencil or iPad - this generally requiring one or more substitution exercises. If you are able, you should try to replicate the problem using a different Apple Pencil with your iPad. Similarly, repeating the test using your Apple Pencil with a different compatible iPad.

If as indicated a forced-restart of your iPad does not clear the issue, you might be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) where you will be able to demonstrate the issue - and the technicians will be able to perform hands-on testing.

Given the nature of your issue, which may take many hours to replicate, a substitution exercise is most likely to narrow the issue.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 1:19 AM in response to CooolBreeeze

Moving the Pencil on its inductive charging dock may trigger a reconnection event - and may not necessarily be indicative of a fault.

A systematic approach to fault-finding may be required to localise the issue to either the Pencil or iPad - this generally requiring one or more substitution exercises. If you are able, you should try to replicate the problem using a different Apple Pencil with your iPad. Similarly, repeating the test using your Apple Pencil with a different compatible iPad.

If as indicated a forced-restart of your iPad does not clear the issue, you might be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) where you will be able to demonstrate the issue - and the technicians will be able to perform hands-on testing.

Given the nature of your issue, which may take many hours to replicate, a substitution exercise is most likely to narrow the issue.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jul 7, 2022 3:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hey, I did what you said.

I paired my Apple pencil with my friend's iPad (same model as mine), and paired his pencil with my iPad and left it overnight.

In the morning, my pencil had stopped charging (lightning symbol indicating that pencil is charging, was gone, and charge left was 84%) whereas his pencil was charging alright (@100%)

So, does this mean I have received a defective pencil?

What to do next?

Jun 30, 2022 9:00 AM in response to CooolBreeeze

It is impossible to give an informed diagnosis on the basis of available information.

As previously advised, you will need to perform systematic substitution to narrow the issue to either the iPad or the Apple Pencil - and/or seek assistance from Apple. The technicians at your local Apple Store have the means to conduct diagnostic tests.

Apple pencil 2 stops charging suddenly overnight, even when docked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.