Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is using 3rd party security software necessary

I have always used third party security software primarily for peace of mind. My McAfee software stopped working after the latest Big Sur 11.6.7 update. After a uninstall then reinstall of the app, all I get when I try to open the app is a log that shows up on my screen saying that my app has quit and that the information has been sent to Apple.

I thought that maybe upgrading to the Monterey OS might fix this problem. Is this wishful thinking or could it actually solve the problem.

This is in regards to a macOS 2020 with Apple M1 chip.

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 9:31 AM

The application firewall is incorporated in macOS to placate clueless purchasing managers so that when they ask their equally clueless "IT professionals" if Apple has a firewall they can confidently and accurately answer "yes".

Nevertheless, it has its purposes. If the only users of your local network are those you know and trust, then enabling it will only result in your own inconvenience. On the other hand if you use your Mac on a public, unprotected Wi-Fi network (for example) then you might want to enable it to thwart any attempts from nefarious individuals lurking on that network from exploiting open ports to find vulnerabilities that may exist.

Read more about it here: About the application firewall - Apple Support.

Excerpt:

"OS X includes an application firewall you can use to control connections made to your computer from other computers on your network."

If the network you are using is yours to control, the router that creates it already comprises a hardware firewall — much better than any software-based one.

The "firewall" terminology doesn't help. It just sounds good. There is no fire and there is no wall. Whoever came up with that term regrets it, or should.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 9:31 AM in response to rain_king1

The application firewall is incorporated in macOS to placate clueless purchasing managers so that when they ask their equally clueless "IT professionals" if Apple has a firewall they can confidently and accurately answer "yes".

Nevertheless, it has its purposes. If the only users of your local network are those you know and trust, then enabling it will only result in your own inconvenience. On the other hand if you use your Mac on a public, unprotected Wi-Fi network (for example) then you might want to enable it to thwart any attempts from nefarious individuals lurking on that network from exploiting open ports to find vulnerabilities that may exist.

Read more about it here: About the application firewall - Apple Support.

Excerpt:

"OS X includes an application firewall you can use to control connections made to your computer from other computers on your network."

If the network you are using is yours to control, the router that creates it already comprises a hardware firewall — much better than any software-based one.

The "firewall" terminology doesn't help. It just sounds good. There is no fire and there is no wall. Whoever came up with that term regrets it, or should.

Jun 30, 2022 2:39 AM in response to rain_king1

We always recommend to update to the latest version of software in Apple. It provides the best experience to our customers with the latest tech and the best privacy and security possible. So it would be best if you update to Monterey. Instead of that security app you can download Clean my Mac X, wich I always use and love. But it is no problem if you don’t install any security app cause Mac‘s are safe. If you don’t install anything I strongly would recommend to update to Monterey. Monterey is much more secure but it has cool new features. Don’t worry, your M1 Mac wouldn’t slow down. Instead it would get faster! After installing Monterey you can try to install McAfee again. This would probably work then! Here is how to install a new macOS: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Here are all the new features in macOS Monterey: macOS Monterey - Apple

If you have any more questions feel free to write!

Best regards yours,

RKK

Jun 30, 2022 3:03 AM in response to rain_king1

Part 1 of 2

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

There is Adware & Malware which will affect the computer and is generally downloaded from “ Shady “ Websites or Developers who Inject this software into the download.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Part 2 of 2

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET

Jun 30, 2022 6:35 AM in response to rain_king1

rain_king1 wrote:

I have always used third party security software primarily for peace of mind. My McAfee software stopped working after the latest Big Sur 11.6.7 update. After a uninstall then reinstall of the app, all I get when I try to open the app is a log that shows up on my screen saying that my app has quit and that the information has been sent to Apple.

If "McAfee" is unable to keep up with software updates from Apple — updates made available to developers months before they are finally released to the public, how are they supposed to address new and emergent threats — threats they claim to protect your Mac against?

Food for thought. Here's more: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Jun 30, 2022 7:40 AM in response to John Galt

I found your response very informative and thought provoking. I also read the article you wrote concerning effective defenses against malware... You have convinced me to uninstall the McAfee software and I also decided to go ahead and upgrade to Monterey. Just one question. Are you in the camp that believes it is better to deactivate the built-in firewall as well. I know a drawback to enabling the firewall is that it prevents communications and info to getting through when using services like file sharing. But if I don't use such services, is there still a drawback to using the firewall. Again, I question primarily due to my worrisome nature and for maybe a false sense of security and peace of mind.

Jun 30, 2022 7:57 AM in response to rain_king1

rain_king1 wrote:

I found your response very informative and thought provoking. I also read the article you wrote concerning effective defenses against malware... You have convinced me to uninstall the McAfee software and I also decided to go ahead and upgrade to Monterey. Just one question. Are you in the camp that believes it is better to deactivate the built-in firewall as well. I know a drawback to enabling the firewall is that it prevents communications and info to getting through when using services like file sharing. But if I don't use such services, is there still a drawback to using the firewall. Again, I question primarily due to my worrisome nature and for maybe a false sense of security and peace of mind.

If you are behind a router there is no need to enable the firewall on the computer. Leave it at its default setting.

Is using 3rd party security software necessary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.