Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.4 does not support Finder Tags (the colored dots) in Box Drive

Recently I updated from Catalina to Monterey and now find that you can't apply Finder Tags to any files or folders in Box Drive.

Under Catalina and before Finder Tags worked the same on Box Drive as they would on a local drive.

I searched this topic on Box support forums and found a reply from Box saying that it wasn't a case of Box dropping support for Finder Tags but rather that Apple have somehow removed support for using Finder Tags on files on Box Drive.

From what I can find you can still use Finder Tags on Dropbox but somehow now with Big Sur and Monterey its not possible with Box Drive.

Finder Tags are a significant feature and not having them any more is a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 11:40 AM

Tags are extended attributes as long as they are on a filesystem where Finder supports those extended attributes. I can drag and drop a tagged text file from my Desktop to Google Drive in a web browser, and when I download that file, the tag is stripped. I have yet to see where Apple promises that tags are supported other than on macOS and iCloud.

I don't use Box, so don't know if they do or do not provide a Mac application for the purpose of a gateway to their Cloud, or if it is presented to you as a browser interface, and you are losing tags in the same manner as the first paragraph. In either case, the remote filesystem on the Cloud side is not Apple's HFS or APFS, but quite likely a UNIX or Linux filesystem in a server farm.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 11:40 AM in response to Ordinary

Tags are extended attributes as long as they are on a filesystem where Finder supports those extended attributes. I can drag and drop a tagged text file from my Desktop to Google Drive in a web browser, and when I download that file, the tag is stripped. I have yet to see where Apple promises that tags are supported other than on macOS and iCloud.

I don't use Box, so don't know if they do or do not provide a Mac application for the purpose of a gateway to their Cloud, or if it is presented to you as a browser interface, and you are losing tags in the same manner as the first paragraph. In either case, the remote filesystem on the Cloud side is not Apple's HFS or APFS, but quite likely a UNIX or Linux filesystem in a server farm.

Monterey 12.4 does not support Finder Tags (the colored dots) in Box Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.