Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant Crashes and restarts (WindowServer, Watchdog)

I have an iMac (2017, 4k retina, 21.5"), and it's been crashing a lot lately. i don't know if it's because of Monterey 12.4 or some settings.

Previously it only happened when i slept or when i left the computer alone for an hour or so. But it started freezing on the las few days when in use.

I've tried removing every connected device, turning off Time Machine, resetting PVRAM, checked my discs using Disk Utility on recovery mode.

I even removed the Hybrid Firecuda disk that i had installed two years ago and replaced it with an SSD Adata drive. I installed Monterey and then made a user migration from the other disk to the new one using the tools provided by macOS.

Crash reports are very long and they are hard to interpret, i hope someone can help me.

WindowServer-2022-06-30-152135:

When i've been using Recovery mode or when i installed the OS in the new SSD the iMac didn't crash.

I think in some of the console reports there have been mention of the processor or something not matching with MCA or something like it... but these are rare, and also, i haven't changed the processor the computer came with. The only upgrade i've done is the upgrade from HDD to SSHD and then to SSD.

I really hope some one can help... and i would really be thankful.

iMac

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 3:00 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 30, 2022 3:39 PM in response to Jacobo Cota

I left the computer alone for 30 minutes and when i tried to wake it up, the screen turned on with the error message in multiple languages and it restarted.

The error report that it sends to Apple contained this:

And the console report that i'll need to shorten is this:

My upper right corner (maybe it helps)...

My energy saver settings:

I hope this is helpful... and if someone has the same issue, comment...

Jul 5, 2022 3:36 PM in response to Jacobo Cota

I think this should be the last thing I try to document in this forum.

I changed my settings for the display to never turn off and set a screen saver that covers all the screen (itunes' album covers) and has a clock on it.

I was in the room with the iMac and was seeing the screen on with the screensaver running,

when i tried to use it i noticed it was frozen.

The screen froze at 4:08, it was around 4:15 when i noticed... i pressed random keys on the keyboard and moved the mouse and it quickly displayed the multilingual crash messaged and rebooted very fast (that SSD really helped with that)

Checking the console, i found FOUR crashes...

The one at 4:09, from WindowServer contains:

The report from bluetoothd at 4:13:

The third one, from WindowServer at 4:14:

The last one, from WindowServer at 4:14:

The report generated after reboot that was sent to Apple:

Jul 4, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Jacobo Cota

Crash before i could even type my password to login...

panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff802236799f): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from WindowServer since load
service: logd, total successful checkins since load (90 seconds ago): 10, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago
service: WindowServer, no successful checkins since load (60 seconds ago)
service: opendirectoryd, total successful checkins since load (90 seconds ago): 9, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago

Jul 26, 2022 8:19 AM in response to Jacobo Cota

I tried updating to 12.5... it seemed to work, but didn't...

I installed 12.5 in another drive and migrated my files and still crashed...

But i noticed something, I changed settings for the display to take longer to turn off and the crashed seem to delay.

Yesterday i moved the slider in power setting further right so the display won't turn off, and did not have any crashes since then.

Maybe the issue has something to do with display controller or card, and crashes when the display turns on or off, or when switching to different modes... i don't know... i'll let you know if the crashes stop with this settings.

Constant Crashes and restarts (WindowServer, Watchdog)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.