Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the web is not working right or showing up right

I keep getting an error message just to visit websites AND when they come up they're all wonky looking. It looks like I've gone to the developers's site (all the links are on the left, like a menu or nav bar) and none of the pictures show up.

Needless to say, I am well sick of this. Advice?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 7:40 PM

El Capitan Safari is no longer supported.

See if you can go to a different web browser, as recommended on this tip:

Browsers by Mac operating system - Apple Community

6 replies

Jul 1, 2022 5:56 AM in response to a brody

I understand that the program I am using (captain) is out of date. The blog shows a series of system updates (called other things) which I never saw or understood that I needed to change to.

Also, it keeps telling me that some browsers won't work.

1) I do not know if this means I should update one program at a time: 11.0, 11.2. 11.4 etc... until I am fully up to date or if I should skip to the most recent (that sounds scary - like some items will be missed or interrupted).

2) Do these programs apply to any mac or only those after a certain year (like with a bigger memory or faster something.. .)

3) Does it cost anything and how do I backup my computer to an portable g-drive before I make any changes?....

I am at a loss and I wish I could say I knew more, but I don't and please don't judge if you think this information should be simple or self-explanatory. I just need solid guidance without any tricks to make me feel inferior or which will not produce the desired result, Please (w/sugar).

Also, I do not know what Java is or does and why it's disallowed or whatever - so I cant tell if I need it still or not.

Jul 1, 2022 7:35 AM in response to iKoreis

1) I do not know if this means I should update one program at a time: 11.0, 11.2. 11.4 etc... until I am fully up to date or if I should skip to the most recent (that sounds scary - like some items will be missed or interrupted).

You can update to the newest version your Mac supports. Another option is to use Open Core Legacy Patcher in order to patch your system to run Monterey. For a tutorial go to YouTube.com and type in Mr. Macintosh.

2) Do these programs apply to any mac or only those after a certain year (like with a bigger memory or faster something.. .)

Nope. Just the operating system.

3) Does it cost anything and how do I backup my computer to an portable g-drive before I make any changes?....

It depends. If you already have a USB with 16gb or more storage you won’t have to pay, but if you don’t you should probably go out and buy one. I recommend getting a pre made macOS installer from Amazon.com. (Based on your model you should check Apple’s website to see which OS is natively supported for your Mac. (Alternatively, you could use Boot Camp to install Windows 10.)

Remember to back up your data before doing this.

Jul 1, 2022 8:21 AM in response to Jeremiah_Bogale

I have a 4TB G-drive which I bought, on advice from my brother. Is this what you mean.

Also, you must understand that I am scared to death of what you said as far as "erasing my hard drive"?...

I am not sure I know how to do it and what will happen. Doesn't that mean the computer is broken (won't start) or will be blank... How do I install a new program if the computer is blank?....

Wow, I am really panicking now.

Jul 4, 2022 6:30 PM in response to iKoreis

Java is a supporting feature of certain web sites that are not accessible, nor compatible with many web browsers.

http://www.java.com will tell you if you can upgrade the Java on the browser in question.

If not, just let websites you want to visit know, they need to consider using HTML5 which is more usable by more browsers than any other.

The only reason to upgrade your operating system is if all your documents can be read by programs that are usable on the new operating system or you need the new operating system, and you can afford the hardware for the newer operating system.

As you'll see, you need a 2012-2015 or later Mac to run 10.15, a 2013-2015 to run 11.0, and 2013-2016 Mac to run 12.0 depending on the model. Just go back to my browser link, and click on each OS link to find the system requirements.

10.15 requires you to upgrade to all 64 bit applications and drivers.

At least through 12.0 if you are compatible that's really the major hurdle. As with any upgrade, you need to backup your data, and test the upgrade first to make sure everything is working and compatible.

Your hard drive will work with any OS you desire. Just make sure it is formatted for the lowest OS you plan to use it on. HFS Extended GUID with Disk Utility will maintain compatibility with 10.11 and later OSes.

the web is not working right or showing up right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.