Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro M1 16-inch design flaw (display hinges pressuring or provoking a soft ding on the aluminum case)

Pictures are better than words, please see pictures attached.

I purchase my Macbook Pro M1 16-inch on Oct 2021. Today, I notice there are two soft dints on the case exactly were the display hinges are located. The hinges are pressuring the aluminum case to the extend of provoking this situation. The MBP M1 is working flawlessly and I absolutely love it's power and all it's features. Physically, my MBP M1 is in perfect condition, no dents or scratches anywhere with the exception of the 2 identical soft dints in exactly the same place were the display hinges are located.

Will call apple support tomorrow to see if there's a recall or reports about this. Want to know if this flaw is widespread, so If anyone has this situation please post your message. Thxs!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 7:03 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jul 1, 2022 8:55 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

@Grant, from my own personal experience with our organization's USB-C Apple laptops, these marks really look like the aluminum case is bending at a mount point for the hinge. Whether this is in fact it is from the hinge I do not know, but it certainly appears like a possibility. None of the displays have been hard to open the lid. Whatever is causing these marks are placing them at the same location. The severity of the marks have varied somewhat with some being hard to see. I have only seen these marks on the USB-C laptops.

Jul 1, 2022 9:13 AM in response to Charlie Santino

Charlie Santino wrote:

By the way, I don't consider this as damage, is a design flaw. My macbook is stationary in my office, well taken care of. After having 5 macbooks this is the first time something like happened to me.

You should certainly have this checked out by Apple. I have the 16" M1 Mac Pro and have no such issues on mine. What this looks like to me however, is the screen may have been opened further back than it was designed to be opened.

Macbook Pro M1 16-inch design flaw (display hinges pressuring or provoking a soft ding on the aluminum case)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.