Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small bulge near MacBook Air (2020) hinge a day after purchasing

So I recently purchased a MacBook Air with the M1 chip and I’ve set up the computer.

However, after using it today, I found a small bulge nearby the hinge.

I’ve read some stuff about the weaknesses often associated with the hinge of the MacBook, so I thought I’d bring it up.

Should I try to return the computer or get it replaced under warranty? Or is this something normal-ish that would not be a long-lasting cause for concern?

I plan on using this computer for college, so it’s longevity is essential.

I have attached a few photographs (my apologies if they were not inserted properly).

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 7:51 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 21, 2022 8:19 PM in response to TortoiseTower

TortoiseTower Said:

"Small bulge near MacBook Air (2020) hinge a day after purchasing: Thanks for the answer! How common is a corroded battery? The computer itself operates fine and charges completely. Could the battery still be damaged?"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Occurrence of a Corroded Battery:

It's an intermittent occurrence, and is commonly reported on these forums. So, I'd return it.

Jul 21, 2022 8:01 PM in response to TortoiseTower

TortoiseTower Said:

"Small bulge near MacBook Air (2020) hinge a day after purchasing: So I recently purchased a MacBook Air with the M1 chip and I’ve set up the computer. However, after using it today, I found a small bulge nearby the hinge.[...]"

-------

Return this to the Seller:

A Swollen Battery, Perhaps?:

The screen may lifting due to due to a corroding battery, which is a health hazard. So, I'd say return it. You have 14 days to do so. The seller should have known better, prior to selling it to you.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Small bulge near MacBook Air (2020) hinge a day after purchasing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.