Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail stuck in outbox, cannot delete it

Read various questions on this, but nothing works. Mail had a too big file attachment so I choose the option of using MailDrop. Nightmare. Now the mail is stuck without attachment. I cannot delete the message, it causes the mail app to get stuck and slows down my MacBook. Cannot find it in the Library neither.

This is really getting annoying.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 4:31 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 4:31 AM in response to KasperFH

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance

Jul 1, 2022 4:24 AM in response to PRP_53

All works fine. Until I (re)open the mail app. I see kernel_task shooting through the roof using 100 or more % CPU (mail 50%) and all other apps starting lagging.

Restarting doesn't solve the problem.

This all happens since that mail I tried to send yesterday using Mail Drop. After sometime (five to ten minutes) Mail just simply quits.

Mail stuck in outbox, cannot delete it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.