Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to adjust properties for external HD (to read and write)

Fist; sorry for my bad English!

I could use some help. I installed my new MacStudio (OS Monterey 12.3.1). I'dd like to use my external HD, which I used before on my old iMac. It's a Seagate Expansion Drive.

The problem I found is; I can't write to the external HD. (Just read).

Ik know I can switch in section 'info' of the disk to: (share and authorizations) read and write.

> the properties of my new Mac, shows already 'read & write'

> Just to be sure, I wanted to change the two options underneath (staff and everyone) also to read and write. But then I get the message that I don't have enough properties to change. (even when I unlocked the small lock down below).

> I even attached the HD to my old iMac (I thought perhaps that device does have the right properties),

and switched all three the users (Mac - staff and everyone) to read and write, but switching back to the MacStudio, there is no difference - I still can't write new documents on the HD.

Perhaps anyone has the answer how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Mac Studio

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 8:01 AM

The problematic External Drive is in what Drive Format ?

The Native macOS drive formats are 1 - APFS / GUID and 2 - HFS Journaled GUID

Judging from your description where you can Read from the Drive but not Write to the Drive seems to indicate the Drive maybe formatted to a Microsoft Windows format which is NTFS Format.

macOS can Read drives formatted to NTFS but can not Write to that drive format without Special Software

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 8:01 AM in response to AnneFab

The problematic External Drive is in what Drive Format ?

The Native macOS drive formats are 1 - APFS / GUID and 2 - HFS Journaled GUID

Judging from your description where you can Read from the Drive but not Write to the Drive seems to indicate the Drive maybe formatted to a Microsoft Windows format which is NTFS Format.

macOS can Read drives formatted to NTFS but can not Write to that drive format without Special Software

Jul 1, 2022 9:24 AM in response to AnneFab

macOS can also read & write to exFAT volumes as well and is the preferred choice when sharing a drive with Windows.

If you do not need to share a drive with Windows, then the native macOS file systems HFS+ or APFS are to be used. I prefer HFS+ as it tends to be more reliable as APFS is a new file system that still has some growing pains and no third party repair utilities, even though in theory APFS should be the better file system. If you are using a hard drive as opposed to an SSD, then HFS+ is the better option.

Of course the choice of file system depends on whether this is just a simple data drive an a Time Machine backup drive.

Most of the experienced contributors on these forums will advise against using any third party software to manage you external drives because that software may break temporarily after a macOS update/upgrade. It took several months for the problem to be fixed the last time a macOS update broke the third party NTFS drivers. It is always best to use a file system that is built into macOS (HFS+, APFS, or exFAT). FYI, HFS+ is also known as MacOS Extended (Journaled).

Jul 1, 2022 10:13 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you for your answer!

Indeed, I use the device solely as a simple data drive...

However, after the suggestion from P.Philips, I was installing a NTFS driver... (I wasn't sure if I would manage to succeed, that's why I didn't already reply on his answer)... But it seems to be working!

Maybe someone else will be helped by your reply... I can imagine people would not prefer to use third-party software.

Thanks again!

How to adjust properties for external HD (to read and write)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.