Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot read nor write to internal and external HD

Hello. I bought a slightly-used Mac Pro M1. Recently, I attempted to drag and drop a file from an external HD to the internal HD, but I get the gray circle with the slash through it. I do a File/Get Info, but I am not allowed to change Sharing & Permissions for anything ("The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission"). I've tried a number of different things, including copying a backup of the internal HD to the external HD, but now it's "afflicted" with the same thing: one cannot copy to it nor from it, and it can no longer be reformatted to anything except APFS (it was Mac Journaled, but I thought that changing it to the same format as the internal HD would be helpful, not thinking that the Sharing & Permissions would be copied over as well).

From one of the posts from last year about this, it sounds like what's under "Sharing & Permissions" for these drives is correct (system/R&W, wheel/RO, everyone/RO). Another post said that changes should be made under Sharing. I changed everything I was allowed to there, but the problem still exists.

How can this be fixed???

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 3:15 PM

Go to disk utility (launch pad, type disk utility) and run disk first aid at those disks

Similar questions

1 reply

Cannot read nor write to internal and external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.