Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive

I have a 5 TB Seagate external hard drive connected to my M1 24 inch iMac running Ventura 13.2.1. It was set up as a Time Machine backup disc on my previous iMac. When I did the migration to my new iMac, the M1, it still showed up as a Time Machine disc, but was read-only so it was no use as a Time Machine. I have tried to make it read and write, but it won't let me change permissions. I have looked at all kinds of help articles but nothing has helped me. I tried running disc repair but that didn't work because of the read only. I unmounted the drive to try to remount it as a new disc, but now it won't remount (it doesn't show on my desktop). It does show in the System Report as being plugged in, but it is not mounted. How do I get the disc mounted and set up as a backup disc preferably as a Time Machine?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 1:02 PM

Can you add it to Time Machine? If not,

open disk utility and erase it from there.

it has a time machine icon because it has time machine data stored on it, not because it is selected in the time machine system settings.

Similar questions

5 replies

External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.