Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to synchronize iPhone with MacBook Pro

I am running iOS 15.5 on an iPhone SE with 209.6 GB available.

I am trying to synch this phone (calendars, contacts, backup iPhone, etc.) to my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) running macOS Monterey version 12.4 with the USB cable. This laptop has four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports.

I’m using a standard cable to connect from the iPhone Lightning connector to the converter to Thunderbolt, to the laptop.

I have synched up numerous times before via the Finder window on the laptop, using this configuration, with no problems. (My understanding is that we don’t use iTunes to sync anymore.)

However now when I open the phone and the laptop and plug them in, the iPhone shows up on the laptop in the Finder window left hand menu under Locations. When I highlight iPhone, instead of showing all of the synch options in the large part of the Finder window, what I see is “Loading…” and a spinning clock for several minutes, followed finally by the message: ”The selected device could not be found.”

I get this result consistently regardless of which of the four Thunderbolt 3 ports I use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies

Jul 1, 2022 5:03 PM in response to Claude Crider

Claude Crider wrote:

I am running iOS 15.5 on an iPhone SE with 209.6 GB available.

I am trying to synch this phone (calendars, contacts, backup iPhone, etc.) to my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) running macOS Monterey version 12.4 with the USB cable. This laptop has four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports.

I’m using a standard cable to connect from the iPhone Lightning connector to the converter to Thunderbolt, to the laptop.

I have synched up numerous times before via the Finder window on the laptop, using this configuration, with no problems. (My understanding is that we don’t use iTunes to sync anymore.)

However now when I open the phone and the laptop and plug them in, the iPhone shows up on the laptop in the Finder window left hand menu under Locations. When I highlight iPhone, instead of showing all of the synch options in the large part of the Finder window, what I see is “Loading…” and a spinning clock for several minutes, followed finally by the message: ”The selected device could not be found.”

I get this result consistently regardless of which of the four Thunderbolt 3 ports I use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmm. Have you tried rebooting the computer.

Do you sync through iCloud as well...same Apple ID on both.

You can run a diagnostic on the iphone—How to put your iPhone in diagnostics mode - Apple Support

Jul 1, 2022 5:07 PM in response to Alexander_7

Alexander, your first link mentioned to check that both the laptop and the iPhone had to be on the same network. That was problem number 1. Then my wife said reboot both devices. That was problem number 2.

As soon as I did both, everything worked as expected.

So I gave you as "Best Answer" , since it didn't give me the option of "Solved".

Thanks!!!

Unable to synchronize iPhone with MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.