Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphic Designer - Set Up Recomendations

Help me work out the best Setup/ What works for you?

A bit about my situation” 

I have been an iMac user my whole life. 

My every day is a desktop, I do have an old MacBook Pro from 2011 from uni.

I WFH now and I want to be able to move around with ease so I’m thinking of switching to a laptop.

I am a Graphic Designer, so I use daily and concurrently these apps:

Adobe Illustrator 

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Indesign 

Figma

30+ Chrome tabs open at once (leave me alone it’s my workflow lol)

Dropbox Smart Sync for work

Synology Nas server for personal work 

I also want to explore learning more 3D stuff and possibly animation.

SO

Do I get a spec’d out MacBook Pro 16 inch (with 64gb memory & 1TB)

or should I just get a Mac Studio + Monitor. (Not super portable) 

But the last thing I want to do is buy a new setup thats portable but it really cant handle the daily tasks I undertake.

I hate the rainbow wheel and I want some thing super fast.

Current:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

1TB Flash Storage

How is it going? - Can handle a lot, fans go off a lot, lags a bit.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 4:33 AM

Given "I hate the rainbow wheel and I want some thing super fast." It's always advantageous to buy as much of it all as you can afford: RAM, disk space and CPU power.

This will do all that can be done to future-proof your needs as RAM, disk space and CPU power are NOT upgradable after the purchase. Only during the purchasing.

No-one can guarantee any Mac you pick will have all the power and such you need as only you know exactly what tasks you'll be doing and how often. However, a top end Mac will do as well, if not better, than any other of similar tech specs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2022 4:33 AM in response to Roseg53

Given "I hate the rainbow wheel and I want some thing super fast." It's always advantageous to buy as much of it all as you can afford: RAM, disk space and CPU power.

This will do all that can be done to future-proof your needs as RAM, disk space and CPU power are NOT upgradable after the purchase. Only during the purchasing.

No-one can guarantee any Mac you pick will have all the power and such you need as only you know exactly what tasks you'll be doing and how often. However, a top end Mac will do as well, if not better, than any other of similar tech specs.

Jul 2, 2022 5:57 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you for your reply, it is good to know a MacBook Pro should do, if I only got 1tb will that impact performance as I store everything on a external hard drive server aka a NAS system and use dropbox for work

I don't plan on having much filling the computer. Is it still worth opting for more storage ?

Graphic Designer - Set Up Recomendations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.