Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So far restore from external hard drive is taken over 12 hours. What do I do next?

What happens if it keeps spinning while it’s trying to restore from time machine external hard drive?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 8:07 AM

jetpakstudio wrote:

What happens if it keeps spinning while it’s trying to restore from time machine external hard drive?

And why did you have to restore from backup to begin with.... this may be telling(?)

What was the bigger issue?

is macOS 10.13 your current macOS, is that what you are trying to restore?

What exact mac is this...(?)

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Do you have another backup to restore from, I would try that in comparison ?

drives can fail at any time, If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite. More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2022 8:07 AM in response to jetpakstudio

jetpakstudio wrote:

And why did you have to restore from backup to begin with.... this may be telling(?)

What was the bigger issue?

is macOS 10.13 your current macOS, is that what you are trying to restore?

What exact mac is this...(?)

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Do you have another backup to restore from, I would try that in comparison ?

drives can fail at any time, If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite. More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Jul 2, 2022 8:20 AM in response to leroydouglas

when I upgraded to Monterey it screwed up everything on the computer. connecting to the Internet was difficult it took a long time for to boot up every time. and once it did boot up the top bar wouldn’t appear for five minutes. The last couple of days everything got more difficult to boot up and the spinning wheel just kept spinning and spinning and spinning. Searching was impossible. It took 5 to 10 minutes for it to find the search words. It was quickly becoming a brick. Everyone I talk to said do a clean install. So I backed up 2 external hard drives and a good portion of the files to iCloud.

So far restore from external hard drive is taken over 12 hours. What do I do next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.