Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Time machine will not back p

My USB drive ve stopped working, I bought a new drive format it for Time Machine and every time I do, it says time machine needs to start backup manually, and then says no disc found, event though I can see the drive on finder and on time machine setup. I have tried formatting several times and with 3 different drives, I can copy to the drive, but the backup keeps saying drive not available?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 9:13 AM

11 replies

Jun 4, 2023 9:17 AM in response to Emigaso

Emigaso wrote:

My USB drive ve stopped working, I bought a new drive format it for Time Machine and every time I do, it says time machine needs to start backup manually, and then says no disc found, event though I can see the drive on finder and on time machine setup. I have tried formatting several times and with 3 different drives, I can copy to the drive, but the backup keeps saying drive not available?

Formatted how...?

GUID —partition table (GPT)

apfs —file system

ref: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

if you still have an issue, what brand external drive, all the same(?) Try something different.

Jun 4, 2023 10:09 AM in response to a brody

Time Machine only backs up APFS drives under Ventura.

Time Machine has been backing up just fine for over a year on a Ventura Mac to a Time Capsule.

I erased the Time Capsule drive before setting up Time Machine on the Ventura Mac.

As you know, the Time Capsule can only be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) aka HFS+ when it is erased.

Jun 4, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Emigaso

Try the following:

Format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set up Time Machine.

Time Machine will automatically (probably without telling you) format the drive APFS (Case sensitive), but you don't have to do anything to make this happen.

Personally, I would not trust a thumb drive .....if that is what you are using......with Time Machine, even if it seems to be working initially. I don't have one handy here to test to see if this is even possible.

Time machine will not back p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.