Time Machine not recognized and not backing up

I'm unable to backup to my Time Machine. The TM disk does not show on my desktop or disk utility. It can be seen in the Time Machine preferences, but I can't select it, I can only "Remove Disk" (see attached). Also, my Time Machine disk is a partition (I can see the partition that isn't Time Machine however).

I've tried restarting, turning off the disk and starting it again. Nothing works. Because disk utility can't see it, I can't repair it. What else can I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 8:20 AM

Have you formatted the partition in Disk Utility with an Apple format?

Having a dedicated backup drive is what you'll find recommended here most often; search for confirmation.

If it were my drive, the first thing I'd do is use Disk Utility to try First Aid. Depending on that result, I'd reformat the partition or drive or replace the drive considering the drive has failed.

I'd get a second drive and separate functions. But, that's your call. remember, partitions don't fail; drives fail.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 8:20 AM in response to holgaguy

Have you formatted the partition in Disk Utility with an Apple format?

Having a dedicated backup drive is what you'll find recommended here most often; search for confirmation.

If it were my drive, the first thing I'd do is use Disk Utility to try First Aid. Depending on that result, I'd reformat the partition or drive or replace the drive considering the drive has failed.

I'd get a second drive and separate functions. But, that's your call. remember, partitions don't fail; drives fail.

Time Machine not recognized and not backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.