Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine will not backup

I used Time Machine to back up my Mac onto my new Seagate external 3tb drive. It worked the first time and now I cannot back up again. It seems like Time Machine turned it unwritable. I have another section on the hard drive that I partitioned for other use and is writable. But the Time Machine portion is now not backing up to the the Time Machine partition anymore. I used first aid and it says all fine. It also says it's writable. It goes for hours preparing for back-up and then comes back with an error. What do I do? I appreciate any help.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 7:42 AM

MariaLoLee wrote:

I used Time Machine to back up my Mac onto my new Seagate external 3tb drive. It worked the first time and now I cannot back up again. It seems like Time Machine turned it unwritable. I have another section on the hard drive that I partitioned for other use and is writable. But the Time Machine portion is now not backing up to the the Time Machine partition anymore. I used first aid and it says all fine. It also says it's writable. It goes for hours preparing for back-up and then comes back with an error. What do I do? I appreciate any help.

In partitioning it is good to have TM as the 1st partition— so TM can find the drive...

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Trouble Shooting—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2021 7:42 AM in response to MariaLoLee

MariaLoLee wrote:

In partitioning it is good to have TM as the 1st partition— so TM can find the drive...

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Trouble Shooting—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

Time Machine will not backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.