Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch to standard keyboard input on YouTube tvOS app

Does anyone know how to switch the tvOS app back to native keyboard input?

My YouTube tvOS app seems to have a major bug in which a non-native keyboard input interface completely breaks keyboard input via the iOS remote app and all Bluetooth keyboards.

Has anyone else encountered this major issue? If so, is there any way to switch back to the standard keyboard interface used by every other app?

Thanks in advance!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 11:24 AM

It seems you experience some difficulty using the iPhone software keyboard in combination with the Apple TV box, in particular with the YouTube app.

I don’t have a bluetooth keyboard to experiment with, so I won’t comment on that.

The iOS/iPadOS keyboard for Apple TV will default to the last used keyboard. Use the globe icon in the lower left corner to change to one of the other installed keyboards. Tap the globe icon to cycle through the keyboards, or press-and-hold for the list of keyboards. The new keyboard will be identified in the space bar for a short while.

It should be the same for any text input field in any app. I can’t think how the YouTube app can influence the software keyboard. It is very consistent when I use it.

If your issue is specific to one app, then try this for any misbehaving app:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2022 11:24 AM in response to J_dot_C

It seems you experience some difficulty using the iPhone software keyboard in combination with the Apple TV box, in particular with the YouTube app.

I don’t have a bluetooth keyboard to experiment with, so I won’t comment on that.

The iOS/iPadOS keyboard for Apple TV will default to the last used keyboard. Use the globe icon in the lower left corner to change to one of the other installed keyboards. Tap the globe icon to cycle through the keyboards, or press-and-hold for the list of keyboards. The new keyboard will be identified in the space bar for a short while.

It should be the same for any text input field in any app. I can’t think how the YouTube app can influence the software keyboard. It is very consistent when I use it.

If your issue is specific to one app, then try this for any misbehaving app:

Switch to standard keyboard input on YouTube tvOS app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.