Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to be able to migrate all data to the new MacBook Pro

I would like to sell this computer; I am getting a new one in about 3 weeks.

Most likely, I will have to deliver this before I get my new one; I want to be able to migrate all data to migrate to the new computer.

I have a 10T external volume I am using for the time machine. Can I use it to store the current disk image to store the data to setup my new computer?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019), 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 3:22 PM

I understood, I needed to create a virtual disk image to setup the new laptop.

Where did you get that information? You don't need anything but your Time Machine backup to migrate your data to the new Mac.

However, it is always better to have two backups.

When you start up the new Mac, it will ask you if you want to Migrate from a Mac or Time Machine backup. You can migrate your data and apps and system settings. Some apps may migrate, but it may not migrate the license information.

I always like to just reinstall so that I don't waste space with old apps I don't use anymore.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2022 3:22 PM in response to Ricardo Valdes

I understood, I needed to create a virtual disk image to setup the new laptop.

Where did you get that information? You don't need anything but your Time Machine backup to migrate your data to the new Mac.

However, it is always better to have two backups.

When you start up the new Mac, it will ask you if you want to Migrate from a Mac or Time Machine backup. You can migrate your data and apps and system settings. Some apps may migrate, but it may not migrate the license information.

I always like to just reinstall so that I don't waste space with old apps I don't use anymore.

Jul 2, 2022 11:44 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for responding; not being too knowledgeable, could you please clarify this:

Time Machine is currently setup to perform backups automatically, and this happens several times every 24 hours.

I understood, I needed to create a virtual disk image to setup the new laptop. I do not know how to create that.

At setup time, provided I do not need this virtual disk image, just by connecting the laptop, would it recognize the TM and starts setting it up, as is the case when using the migration process? - I am not backing up applications; would I need to install all non-apple apps (google maps, Light Room, Photoshop etc.) manually?

These are but a few the questions I still have.

Thank for your patience.

I want to be able to migrate all data to the new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.