Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover the system Photos Library.photoslibrary without a Time Machine backup?

I accidentally deleted the system photo library on my MacBook. I don't have a Time Machine back-up for it, however, it is backed up to iCloud Photos. I've created a new photo library file "Photo Library1.photolibrary"in pictures), but it won't sync with iCloud Photos.

How can I get the new Photos Library file to sync with my iCloud Photos?

Also, I get this message when I try to open the new system "Photo Library.photolibrary" file.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 2:22 AM

Hi

1 (you have already done this - though you may need to try again given your error message - give it a different name) - Create a new EMPTY library in your pictures folder. (Hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". Name it something that is easy to recognise). If you don't have enough space on your mac to download the full iCloud library with plenty of headroom, then you'll need to put the new library on an external drive (formatted APFS or MacOS extended)**

2 - Open the new empty library in photos. (it should open after you click "create new" but if not, use the option key start again, and select the new library from the list.)

3 - In photos preferences set it to the system library (click the circled button)

4 - In photos preferences iCloud - turn iCloud on with download originals.

5 - Wait - for photos to download all your images from iCloud into your freshly minted library. It may take some time - possibly days. Leave the mac on with photos open and sleep disabled while it is doing it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 2:22 AM in response to aditya269

Hi

1 (you have already done this - though you may need to try again given your error message - give it a different name) - Create a new EMPTY library in your pictures folder. (Hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". Name it something that is easy to recognise). If you don't have enough space on your mac to download the full iCloud library with plenty of headroom, then you'll need to put the new library on an external drive (formatted APFS or MacOS extended)**

2 - Open the new empty library in photos. (it should open after you click "create new" but if not, use the option key start again, and select the new library from the list.)

3 - In photos preferences set it to the system library (click the circled button)

4 - In photos preferences iCloud - turn iCloud on with download originals.

5 - Wait - for photos to download all your images from iCloud into your freshly minted library. It may take some time - possibly days. Leave the mac on with photos open and sleep disabled while it is doing it.

How to recover the system Photos Library.photoslibrary without a Time Machine backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.