Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing/updating system photo library

I have an existing system photo library that I use with Photos that is 160GB.

This file is synced with iCloud.

I have a more complete set of photos that is 190GB. Same photos plus several more years of family photos.

I just switched the system photo library from the 160GB file to the more complete 190GB file.

Is this the correct method to accomplish getting the more complete set of photos backed up in iCloud?

Will duplicate photos occur since the majority of these 2 files are the same?

Does Photos need to remain open on my MacBook Pro for the update to occur?

Haven't been able to tell if there's been any progress in the 2 hours since I made the switch. Does it take a while?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 10:40 PM

Hi

Yes, that is the correct approach, assuming:

If the common photos (those in both libraries) have been imported from the same original files, then duplicates will not occour. However (for example) you have exported edited files from one of the libraries, and re-imported those into the other, then as far as photos are concerned they are different versions and both will appear in your merged libarary. Same if one library contains original files and the other contains versions edited in any other software.

You should leave photos open in the background to sync - and by changing the system photos library, you have triggered a complete resync of the whole library. This will likely take days (library sync is normally much much slower than your internet speed would allow). For my 50GB library it took a little more than 48 hours. You should probably leave your Mac on with photos open, connected to power for 24/7. If you look at the bottom of the all photos view it will give you a (sort of) progress indication. But this will often not change for a long time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 10:40 PM in response to eblocker

Hi

Yes, that is the correct approach, assuming:

If the common photos (those in both libraries) have been imported from the same original files, then duplicates will not occour. However (for example) you have exported edited files from one of the libraries, and re-imported those into the other, then as far as photos are concerned they are different versions and both will appear in your merged libarary. Same if one library contains original files and the other contains versions edited in any other software.

You should leave photos open in the background to sync - and by changing the system photos library, you have triggered a complete resync of the whole library. This will likely take days (library sync is normally much much slower than your internet speed would allow). For my 50GB library it took a little more than 48 hours. You should probably leave your Mac on with photos open, connected to power for 24/7. If you look at the bottom of the all photos view it will give you a (sort of) progress indication. But this will often not change for a long time.

Dec 8, 2020 6:01 AM in response to eblocker

That is the normal speed. When I make a complete new upload of my library with 55000 photos and videos, the upload will roughly take ten days. So, you should also expect the upload to take several days for your library. It is not just a data transmission - Photos has to merge the new system Photos Library into the existing library and resolve conflicts between duplicates. This syncing and checking for duplicates will be much slower for a large library, as each item from the new library has to be compared to every item already in iCloud, and Photos has to solve conflicts, if duplicates from both libraries are having different metadata or are in different albums.

Changing/updating system photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.