Multiple System Photo Libraries

Hello!

I have my System Photo Library on an external SSD where it downloads full size photos when connected. This drive is backed up and I like how this works.

However, I would like to have a separate photo library on the MacBook itself so I don't have to keep connecting the drive and this would be the optimized photos from iCloud to reduce space. So the question is:

Can I have two System Photo Library and switch between them to keep them both updated with iCloud?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 10:52 AM

No really because each time you changed libraries you would have to do a complete re-sync of entire library with the online iCloud library. That can take a lot of time depending on the size of the library.

If your library will fit easily on a 1 Tb drive with room to grow you might consider this mobile external SSD to carry along with your laptop: 1TB OWC Envoy Pro mini 

OWC is considered to be the premier 3rd party hardware supplier for Macs by most of the experienced users here.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2023 10:52 AM in response to homerola

No really because each time you changed libraries you would have to do a complete re-sync of entire library with the online iCloud library. That can take a lot of time depending on the size of the library.

If your library will fit easily on a 1 Tb drive with room to grow you might consider this mobile external SSD to carry along with your laptop: 1TB OWC Envoy Pro mini 

OWC is considered to be the premier 3rd party hardware supplier for Macs by most of the experienced users here.

Nov 15, 2023 1:55 AM in response to homerola

As Old Toad already wrote you (a user) can have only one System Photo Library.

But you could try the following solution.

Your normal user will have his System Photo Library on the internal SSD, for this Library you select "Optimized Photos"

You would normally work with this user.

Then you create a new user "Backup User".

This user has the identical Apple User ID that you currently use.

For this user you have the System Photo Library on your external SSD and select "Original Photos".

You would have to login every few days, only then the Library on the external drive will get the latest updates.

You could run your Time Machine backups with this user, it would include the original photos.

I agree this is not the best solution, but it will combine what you want.

Regards

Ralf

Multiple System Photo Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.