Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use airplay2 via Apple TV to connect audio to a receiver in a media cabinet

Can I use airplay2 from Apple TV to connect audio to a receiver in a media cabinet and control speakers in the same room as the Apple TV? Will the Apple TV remote control volume for the receiver?

I'd like to move the receiver that is currently in the living room, running the speakers in the living room, to the basement. When I move it, i'd like the Apple TV to remain the main thing driving the content on the living room TV, the audio from Apple TV to drive the speakers in the living room, and the remote control to work through the apple tv remote. Basically just remove the receiver and speaker wiring to the basement.

If i select an Airplay 2 compatible reciever on the apple TV for Audio - will it allow me to play the audio and control the volume via the apple TV?

In this scenario, the Apple TV would direct connect to the TV instead of through the Receiver (like it does today) and the receiver would move to the basement and wirelessly connect to the Apple TV in the living room.

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 4:20 PM

If the receiver is Airplay 2 capable, you should be able to set that as the audio output of your AppleTV. In that case, it will ignore your TV's speakers and play all AppleTV audio through the receiver's speakers.

More here: Use AirPlay to stream audio and video on Apple TV - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 4, 2022 9:23 AM in response to clinderw

Killerfocus is correct, your system will only work as well as the weakest link. So for example if you have a very strong network that has a good wi-fi signal where the Apple TV and receiver are located but your receiver does not support Airplay 2 then you cannot use AirPlay to the receiver. However if the receiver supports Airplay 2, you have a strong wi-fi signal in the room the system will be setup then you should not have any issues.

As we do not have any specifics about your system then we cannot say without some hesitation your proposed system will work okay.

Can I use airplay2 via Apple TV to connect audio to a receiver in a media cabinet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.