Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find a tutorial so I can create animated wedding title flourishes in Apple Motion?

Greetings Everyone.

I did a Google search for "apple motion wedding titles tutorial" and only found other sellers selling the templates they made and no tutorials. I'm hoping to locate tutorials to do that. I would love to know the secret on how they made the flourishes for their templates. I already have one of those template packs and want to make the animated flourish titles by like they did. I'm sure this is possible in Apple Motion, otherwise all those sellers would not have been able to make all of those templates.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 9:45 PM

Flourishes are something of an art form and will take a little practice and experience to accomplish.

There are several examples provided in Motion — Go to the Library tab, select Content in the left column, then Drawings in the right column. In the bottom column there should be about 35 examples you can check out.

Most (if not all) of these are lines created by single Bezier paths. Paths with varied widths need to be Shape > Style > Outline > Brush Type > Airbrush (or Image... but you can play with that later). You can copy/paste any of those line pieces into a project to create your own flourish layouts.

How your flourish lines turn out will depend a great deal on your skills with drawing Bezier curves

(https://youtu.be/SXUFGZqF6h4)

The "secret" of drawing these kinds of lines belongs to the "Width Over Stroke" feature of Airbrush and Image stroke types. You can find its control in the Stroke tab once Brush Type Airbrush (or Image) is selected.

There are also OnScreen controls that can be used:

These are accessed by setting the cursor tool to *Adjust Item*. You can Add width points by Control-clicking on the path at specific points. The width control point can be moved as well (details about this feature are here: Adjust stroke width in the Motion canvas - Apple Support [PS- that's the only width point needed for that particular line.]

The default Spacing of Airbrush lines is 25%. To get the smooth edges, you need to set that to 5% and adjust the Brush Profile to tighten up the edge:

There are a great many flourish designs that can be found on the web - you can download any of the images and use them to trace the flourish lines, then fill them out with the Width Over Stroke like I did with the example at the top of the post.

The work is not particularly easy, but it should be worth while.

Animating the lines might be another lesson. You can use Write On and a Ramp on the Custom Speed slider (as a hint).

Another hint — when you're "tracing" flourish lines, try to keep the control points at the mid point of the "stroke".

————————

There is a completely different tack you can take. You can use images of flourish designs as Masks and animate a fill to emulate "strokes".

Hope this helps get you started.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 9:45 PM in response to rleiman

Flourishes are something of an art form and will take a little practice and experience to accomplish.

There are several examples provided in Motion — Go to the Library tab, select Content in the left column, then Drawings in the right column. In the bottom column there should be about 35 examples you can check out.

Most (if not all) of these are lines created by single Bezier paths. Paths with varied widths need to be Shape > Style > Outline > Brush Type > Airbrush (or Image... but you can play with that later). You can copy/paste any of those line pieces into a project to create your own flourish layouts.

How your flourish lines turn out will depend a great deal on your skills with drawing Bezier curves

(https://youtu.be/SXUFGZqF6h4)

The "secret" of drawing these kinds of lines belongs to the "Width Over Stroke" feature of Airbrush and Image stroke types. You can find its control in the Stroke tab once Brush Type Airbrush (or Image) is selected.

There are also OnScreen controls that can be used:

These are accessed by setting the cursor tool to *Adjust Item*. You can Add width points by Control-clicking on the path at specific points. The width control point can be moved as well (details about this feature are here: Adjust stroke width in the Motion canvas - Apple Support [PS- that's the only width point needed for that particular line.]

The default Spacing of Airbrush lines is 25%. To get the smooth edges, you need to set that to 5% and adjust the Brush Profile to tighten up the edge:

There are a great many flourish designs that can be found on the web - you can download any of the images and use them to trace the flourish lines, then fill them out with the Width Over Stroke like I did with the example at the top of the post.

The work is not particularly easy, but it should be worth while.

Animating the lines might be another lesson. You can use Write On and a Ramp on the Custom Speed slider (as a hint).

Another hint — when you're "tracing" flourish lines, try to keep the control points at the mid point of the "stroke".

————————

There is a completely different tack you can take. You can use images of flourish designs as Masks and animate a fill to emulate "strokes".

Hope this helps get you started.

Jul 3, 2022 7:12 PM in response to rleiman

Hi rleiman,

Welcome to the Apple Community

Wondering why the template sellers did not also supply the "How-to" info.

Seems there are a few tutorials on YouTube that may help.

You may be able to create something original, if you can not replicate the one you saw.

12 Creative Apple Motion Tutorials (Beginner to Advanced)

https://motionarray.com/learn/final-cut-pro/apple-motion-tutorials/

Eg: Apple Motion Text Animation Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dL361MQFBo

Best Apple Motion Features | 40 Features You Should be Using!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtdCdzVwMEI

5 Motion Graphics Tips & Tricks for Beginners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dL361MQFBo

or

You might want to try the online Guide:

(NB: Click on "Table of Contents" at the top of the Welcome Page that opens from the link.)

Rg: There are articles with step by step guidance on ways to animate text.

For accurate info: Choose your Mac OS version at the top of articles: )

Motion User Guide – Apple Support

All the best :-)

Jul 4, 2022 12:45 AM in response to rleiman

Hi @brbo,

Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for the links. I will see if there are any targeting making my own animated flourishes. The other sellers do supply tutorials on how to user their own templates, but they won't give away the steps they took to make the templates with the flourishes. Hopefully one or more of the tutorial links you posted will contain that information.

Truly,

Emad

Jul 4, 2022 5:17 PM in response to fox_m

Hi fox_m,

I'm very grateful for the answers you provided. I'm one of those people who need to see something being taught like they do in a tutorial video. Do you know of any tutorial videos that show how you made the animated flourish at the beginning of your post and also the on screen controls?

The video tutorial on using the bezier tool was good. Now I know how to use the tool but that tutorial didn't show how to convert what he did into an actual ornament that can be found in the "Drawings" area of the library. Also I'm hoping there is a video on the "Drawings" section of the library because I was completely confused on how to use that section. At least I was able to place one of the flourishes in that section onto my canvas and play it in my time line to see it flourish out. A detailed tutorial on that section will really help me understand by "doing" it by following the tutorial. Maybe there is a complete full set of videos on YouTube that goes through all of the features.

Truly,

Emad

Jul 5, 2022 11:29 AM in response to rleiman

I don't really do tutorials anymore. I just don't have the setup. I looked all over for a tutorial — ripple training/macbreak studio, simon ubsdell, jenn jager, even appleshakeguru. I was pretty sure I had seen one awhile back (probably more than 10 years ago) but couldn't find any. A lot of tutorials that used to be out there for Motion 1 - 4 are mostly gone these days.

I did this last night — it's not much of a tutorial, but you can basically watch me draw the main "figure" in the flourish (above) from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W24OgSHmtc

There are a few tips included in the video.

I'll also make the original project files available to you here:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/flourish-complete.zip

HTH

How do I find a tutorial so I can create animated wedding title flourishes in Apple Motion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.