Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete photos on my phone, but keep them in iCloud?

I may be mistaken, but is seemed like I was able to delete photos from my iPhone7 and have them stay on my iCloud. I do know NOW when I delete photos from my iPhone7, they're also deleted from the iCloud. I tried the thing where I logged of iCloud on my phone then deleted the photos on my iPhone7. But once I logged back onto iCloud, all the photos got reloaded onto my phone. Any help would be appreciated, I am running out of storage on my iPhone7.

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 5:35 PM

You were mistaken. iCloud has always been a syncing service, not an archiving service. Any photos you have on your iPhone will be in iCloud and vice versa. What you can do is enable Storage Optimization on your phone, which will save lower resolution copies of your photos on your phone , but keep the full resolution in iCloud. You can also offload your photos to a 3rd party archiving service, of which there are many, such as Dropbox, box.com, Google Photos, Shutterfly, Amazon Photos, Microsoft OneDrive, LiveDrive, etc.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 5:35 PM in response to ycartrob

You were mistaken. iCloud has always been a syncing service, not an archiving service. Any photos you have on your iPhone will be in iCloud and vice versa. What you can do is enable Storage Optimization on your phone, which will save lower resolution copies of your photos on your phone , but keep the full resolution in iCloud. You can also offload your photos to a 3rd party archiving service, of which there are many, such as Dropbox, box.com, Google Photos, Shutterfly, Amazon Photos, Microsoft OneDrive, LiveDrive, etc.

How can I delete photos on my phone, but keep them in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.