Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timing on Apple Motion Final Cut Pro Effect

Hello,

I'm quite new to using Motion, but I'm trying to make a Final Cut Pro Effect.

The goal is to take a 3840x1920 video and take the left 1920x1080 part and keep it as normal, then take the right half 1920x1080 video and mask it and shrink it down. I was able to achieve this for the most part.

The issue I've run into is that the Motion effect tempate has a duration. If the duration doesn't match the video clip perfectly it affects the video speed.

For example, if the effect has a duration of 10 seconds and it's applied to a 20 second video clip, the clip runs at half speed.

Considering the effect is based on the clip itself, it would be great for the effect duration to always be equal to the clip duration.

Is this possible? I assume there's a trick I'm missing.

Edit: Despite what it's saying here, I'm still running into this timing issue as the effect duration doesn't conform to the video duration.

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 10:15 PM

You need to add a Build In Mandatory marker at the point you want the animation to end. The timing should remain consistent no matter the length of the clip the effect is applied to.

To set a marker, click outside of all layers (or type Command-Shift-A to Deselect All). Set the Playhead at the time to mark and type 'M' , then Command-Option-M to call up the Edit Marker dialog.

HTH

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 10:15 PM in response to Jalsemgeest

You need to add a Build In Mandatory marker at the point you want the animation to end. The timing should remain consistent no matter the length of the clip the effect is applied to.

To set a marker, click outside of all layers (or type Command-Shift-A to Deselect All). Set the Playhead at the time to mark and type 'M' , then Command-Option-M to call up the Edit Marker dialog.

HTH

Jul 4, 2022 3:12 PM in response to fox_m

Hi fox_m,

Thank you for your response. I tried what you had suggested and it works!

I think I've realized that what I was hoping to achieve may not be possible though. My original goal was to record a tutorial video in 3840x1080 where the left 1920x1080 was a screen recording and the right 1920x1080 was webcam recording. Then I was hoping to make a motion effect that I could simply drop on it and take the right 1920x1080 and scale it down and put it over the left 1920x1080.

From what I can tell you can only have a single effect source, so changing the scale of one would affect all of it, so I don't think that's possible.

I was mainly playing around to see if it was possible, but I learned some stuff along the way.

Thanks!

Timing on Apple Motion Final Cut Pro Effect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.