Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change User picture in Preferences?

Users & Groups User preferences on Mac - Apple Support says: "Instead of clicking the picture, you can drag and drop an image file from the Finder onto the picture." But when I do that, the picture just bounces off. I think I've done this before, and it worked (I know I've placed this particular image in the User picture on other occasions). But not this time. I've tried both .png and .jpg images, neither works. I've also clicked the lock and entered my admin password, though I'm not sure I had to do that before.

I guess I could create a photo database in Photos, but I don't want to do that. I just want to do what the instruction above says: drag a little picture from the Finder onto the User picture to replace it. This is a fresh install of 10.13 High Sierra (on a 2013 MacBook Pro, otherwise working okay), complete with updates; I don't want to start cluttering it up with other stuff just yet.

Anybody have any ideas? TIA.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 6:25 PM

Never mind, I figured it out. I have to drag the picture onto the little User picture before clicking on the User picture to open the Edit window. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but seems that's how it works.

Similar questions

3 replies

How to change User picture in Preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.