Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix uninitialized HDD not wiping?

I have a 21.5” 2011 iMac desktop computer and recently it was slow so I decided to full wipe it. When I tried to reinstall MacOS High Sierra, it wouldn’t let me install fully. I went to Recovery mode and I see that my HDD was uninitialized, and there was no volume there. So I tried to wipe my HDD, and it gives me the error “Disk object invalid or unable to serialize”! Now I can’t reinstall MacOS High Sierra since I can’t wipe my HDD and that there is no volume.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 8:03 AM

How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2022 8:03 AM in response to jqoses

How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

How to fix uninitialized HDD not wiping?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.