Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I remove an organizer in family sharing

My ex-wife put herself as organizer on my Apple ID in family sharing. I am trying to remove her and become the organizer. Is this possible?

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 3:22 AM

It is possible but it’s less direct than you might expect.

In simple terms, the current organizer must disband the family …

… followed by the new organizer rebuilding the familiy.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

HOWEVER if kids are involved - not unexpectedly - it’s significantly more involved.

You first need to “extricate” yourself from the current family and form your own family.

You then “invite” your kids to your family. (This part often trips-up users …. The instructions must be followed TO THE LETTER - specifically the part to invite “In Person” with the child providing his/her AppleID & Password as part of the process)

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Then your Ex must “accept”the invite which then transfers the kid to your family.

Best of luck … no one envies your task ahead.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2022 3:22 AM in response to Claytont

It is possible but it’s less direct than you might expect.

In simple terms, the current organizer must disband the family …

… followed by the new organizer rebuilding the familiy.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

HOWEVER if kids are involved - not unexpectedly - it’s significantly more involved.

You first need to “extricate” yourself from the current family and form your own family.

You then “invite” your kids to your family. (This part often trips-up users …. The instructions must be followed TO THE LETTER - specifically the part to invite “In Person” with the child providing his/her AppleID & Password as part of the process)

Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Then your Ex must “accept”the invite which then transfers the kid to your family.

Best of luck … no one envies your task ahead.

how do I remove an organizer in family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.