Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from iPad

At my job I have a printer that is connected to the network. In order to print from my printer you have to be connect to the network via Ethernet cord. Can I print from the ipad if I am connected to the network? Also, how advanced are the printing capabilities on ipad..

i need to be able to print multiple copies , I need to print double sided , and in terms of speed , how fast is would it be to send the info to the printer compared to let’s say…a MacBook ..?

thank you!

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 7:52 AM

Hi,

In order to print from the iPad (without a special iPadOS app), the printer must support the AirPrint technology. If so, the printer and the iPad must be on the same network (subnet). The iPad would require a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection to the network.

Please post back with the exact printer model, and information about whether a Wi-Fi router is available.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2022 7:52 AM in response to Robbyoungzz

Hi,

In order to print from the iPad (without a special iPadOS app), the printer must support the AirPrint technology. If so, the printer and the iPad must be on the same network (subnet). The iPad would require a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection to the network.

Please post back with the exact printer model, and information about whether a Wi-Fi router is available.

Jul 6, 2022 8:03 AM in response to Robbyoungzz

Given that you are using business resources, you would be best advised to seek assistance from your IT/Network Administrators for guidance. If supported by your printer, AirPrint must be explicitly enabled. Printers that are accessed via a network print-server - as is perhaps likely in a business environment - may or may not be accessible from mobile devices such as iPad or iPhone.

See:

Apple AirPrint is a driverless connection protocol - that requires a compatible Printer to be wirelessly connected to your WiFi network - or to support AirPrint via an Ethernet network connection. A high proportion of modern printers intended for Home, SoHo and Business environments now support AirPrint. Check the printer model against this list:

If your printer is not compatible with AirPrint, there are alternatives…

Some printer manufacturers have a suitable companion App that provides Print capabilities for mobile devices, often using a web-based print service (caveat - business networks will likely block internet print facilities). Others can print directly if the App supports other network printing protocols. By example, some HP Printers use the HP Smart App - available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hp-smart/id469284907

You might also consider connecting a non-AirPrint printer to a PC or Mac computer - and install a “helper application” that allows the computer to emulate AirPrint capabilities; one such option is Readdle Printer Pro, for which suitable software for PC is available. A link to the PC software is included from this page:

https://readdle.com/printerpro

A further alternative is to consider installing a dedicated Print Server Appliance on your network - and connect your printer to this. One example is the Lantronix xPrintServer.

Printing from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.