Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 M1 MacBook Air Built-In Microphone Not Working

Hi All,

Since I got this laptop over a year ago, the internal microphone has not been able to detect any input. I'm fairly savvy in regards to troubleshooting these issues, but I've come up with nothing in the past year and don't always enjoy running for my headphones before a FaceTime call comes in.

To clarify, there are no audio apps that would be interfering with this. This issue was clear from a fresh install. Accessing the Settings > Sound > Input tab shows the MacBook Air Microphone entry, but the input level bar does not change in any circumstance. Toggling the microphone hotkey, restarting the computer, closing all apps, etc. has no effect on the input level. I can confirm that other apps such as Microsoft Teams and GarageBand do not detect any level of input from the internal, built-in microphone.

I am on the most recent version of Monterey and this issue has been here across ever OS version installed on the machine.

I'm guessing that this must be some weird hardware failure. Would this be covered by any sort of factory warranty? Ideally, I'm not looking to spend several hundred dollars at the Genius Bar getting this fixed, but I understand that I've had the laptop for some time now.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated!

Thank You!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 8:18 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jul 7, 2022 11:21 AM in response to kal227

Hello kal227,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have some questions about your microphone not working on your Mac, and we'd to help. We see you also mentioned you set up your Mac as new, and the issue remained. If that's the case, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support from here: Contact - Official Apple Support

Regards.

2020 M1 MacBook Air Built-In Microphone Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.