Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erratic dictation?

Is anyone else having trouble with the dictation feature of Mac OS 12.4? The function comes and goes unpredictably. Some days it does not work at all. Some days it does.

For a microphone, I use an iPhone SE.2. It is on iOS 15.5. I use the app EpocCam to connect the iPhone audio to the Mac.

EpocCam works both by USB and wifi. I have not noticed any difference in function between the two connections. Both seem equally fitful.

I do not find any problem with my hardware or software. I wonder, then, if the problem is in Apple. Is the problem somewhere in the technology that converts spoken words to writing? That is why I ask if anyone else has the same problem.

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 2:28 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Jul 12, 2022 12:39 PM in response to R_55a

And now today, on a Tuesday, I am getting this dialog box in Word:

I get this dialog box with both my iPhone running EpocCam and a cheap, standalone microphone that I plug into the headphone jack on the back of the Mac Mini.

I post this report here in the Apple Forum rather than the similar Microsoft forum because I have the same inability to dictate into Pages. The only difference is that Pages does not yet give me a dialog bog.

Jul 15, 2022 7:48 AM in response to R_55a

Update. I plugged in an external microphone. It, too, does not work with Word or Pages.

Here is what the Sound Preference shows:

Word has not again given me the "Oops" dialog box that it gave me three days ago.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what is wrong with my Mac OS's sound input?

Jul 15, 2022 8:27 AM in response to R_55a

R_55a wrote:

Interesting. Neither the external microphone nor the iPhone records into Outlook, TextEdit, or QuickTime. So maybe the problem is with the Dictation tool.

On the contrary, the fact that you can't record audio with Quicktime suggests it is a more systemic audio issue, and probably not something with dictation.

I am not familiar with epoccam. I wonder if it needs updating, or is somehow messing things with audio.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Jul 15, 2022 8:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Changing the subject slightly, what is up with EtreCheck? When my last Mac was dying, I used EtreCheck often. I liked the application. It gave me years' notice of the impending failure of the computer, and I was ready when the time came. But I do not find EtreCheck in my current computer. (I would have expected it to come over in the restoration from the prior computer.) I do not find EtreCheck in the App Store. That absence gets my attention. The website for EtreCheck reports that the App Store no longer carries EtreCheck due to some unexplained policies. I am more than a little concerned about what are the policies of Apple that EtreCheck does not comply with. Why is EtreCheck not in the App Store?

Jul 15, 2022 9:09 AM in response to R_55a

Etrecheck is a diagnostic utility that, as you know, produces a report on a user's system.

It was developed by a respected member of this community, and frequent contributor, for the purpose of helping users here help others.

Apple policies restrict what applications can or cannot do, and some developers may not be able or willing to limit their applications, or jump through the hoops just to pass the requirements. Being in the App Store, however, is NOT a certificate of quality or fitness for any particular purpose. For example, the egregious "cleanmymac" (egregious but NOT in a good way) is there. Many of us here consider it to be as bad as malware...

Etrecheck is perfectly safe, does not change your system in any way, just checks it and produces a report. That information helps us here solve many issues every day. Remember, we are users like you, we have no access to your mac, so without the report we have no idea what your mac is, what OS, what system modifications you have.

Jul 16, 2022 11:22 AM in response to R_55a

A websearch turned up this webpage:  https://www.howtogeek.com/682514/microphone-not-working-on-a-mac-heres-how-to-fix-it/

I have an external USB microphone in the form of an iPhone SE (2d generation) running EpocCam.  One nice feature of EpocCam is that I can use a Wi-Fi connection between the Mac Mini and the iPhone, although for the moment I have them connected by USB.  I also have an external 3.5mm microphone.

I followed all the steps in this webpage.  

Both microphones appear in System Preferences > Sound > Input.  I have the input level for each set to maximum.

The preference Security & Privacy > Privacy was already set to allow access by most of the applications that have asked for access to the microphone.  Although, oddly enough, this permissions-preference pane does not show Pages as one such application.  I have used my iPhone/EpocCam with Pages recently.  I do not know why this preference pane would omit Pages.

One interesting item is that System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation shows both microphones.   When I test each microphone in this preference, I see the sound level in the graphic moving up and down.

I then reset the NVRAM, or, at least, I think I did.  I shut down and then restarted while holding down the R, P, option, and command keys.   The Mac Mini started up normally, so I do not know if it reset the NVRAM in doing so.

My dictation ability has been highly erratic all week.   It has been a week since I last dictated through my iPhone.  In drafting this report here, I checked again.   I am drafting this report in Word.  Word does not accept my dictation.  But just now Pages does.   

Even though Pages is accepting my dictation as of this writing, it still is not listed as an application in the preference for Security & Privacy>Privacy.

Erratic dictation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.