Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility locked

I setup my mac to dual boot, seems when entering the firmware settings i set a password. Now it boots in Windows and when i tey enter the disk utility during startup, it asks for a password: i don't remember what it is. I am stuck using windows. Anyway to reset the password.

iMac

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 2:29 AM

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

And do not forget the below to have any hope of Apple doing anything with this machine

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 2:29 AM in response to Yogi_Austin

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

And do not forget the below to have any hope of Apple doing anything with this machine

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Jul 6, 2022 4:27 PM in response to Yogi_Austin

Hi Yogi_Austin,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you had set a firmware password. It is particularly difficult to remove, and on some models impossible without Apple's help.

What year was your iMac made in? This determines whether the firmware password can be removed on your own.

EDIT: If you have the Boot Camp tools installed on Windows, run Apple Software Update and install all available updates. Then, you could use the Boot Camp Control Panel to set the startup disk to "Mac".

Disk utility locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.