Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstallazione OS X

I have found an used iMac 27" ( late 2009 ). When I turn it on, the Utilities window appears. Then I select Reinstall the OS ( it appears 10.10 Yosemite ), the hardware is verified through the net and the procedure goes on. immediately after this, it asks me the Apple ID; I insert my credentials, but the systems says that ID or password is wrong. But they are certainly valid ( although different w. r. those of the previous owner of the iMac, of course ).

As a net result, I' m unable to reinstall the O. S. and therefore the Mac seems to be unusable. But It is a pity, since it has 8 GB RAM, 512 MB on the graphic board, 1 TB of SATA disk and a quad - core Intel CPU ( I found these info through the terminal commands ).

I hope some expert can help me.

Andrea

iMac

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 12:43 AM

elettro Said:

"Reinstallazione OS X: [...]immediately after this, it asks me the Apple ID; I insert my credentials, but the systems says that ID or password is wrong. But they are certainly valid ( although different w. r. those of the previous owner of the iMac, of course ).[...]"

-------

This may be Locked to a User Account:

Is this a Used Device? If so, the original user would need to enter their information. If you created this with a previous Apple ID, then you'd have to log in with that. This is the link that the seller should have used prior to selling it to you (or whatever is the case): What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 12:43 AM in response to elettro

elettro Said:

"Reinstallazione OS X: [...]immediately after this, it asks me the Apple ID; I insert my credentials, but the systems says that ID or password is wrong. But they are certainly valid ( although different w. r. those of the previous owner of the iMac, of course ).[...]"

-------

This may be Locked to a User Account:

Is this a Used Device? If so, the original user would need to enter their information. If you created this with a previous Apple ID, then you'd have to log in with that. This is the link that the seller should have used prior to selling it to you (or whatever is the case): What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 7, 2022 5:26 PM in response to elettro

elettro Said:

"Reinstallazione OS X: Yes, this is an used device substituted by a new model by the previous owner. There is no possibility for me to " reset " the previous users' s credentials and re - install the whole system? If not, the Mac would be unusable, since the previous user did not provide any info."

-------

Seems you were Scammed:

The previous user should have used the link I provided. They should have known better. They'd have to enter this info --having it sent to their account. Then, once set up --they'd perform as instructed in the link: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 7, 2022 12:25 AM in response to elettro

elettro Said:

-------

Verifying if you have a Failing Hard Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode:

1. Hold Down: command + R upon boot.
  2. Go in to: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the hard drive
  4. Click: First Aid

Reinstallazione OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.