Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Mac asking for a password to login as administrator in order to update?

Hello this is Phyllis W. and I am trying to update my Mac book and it is asking me for a password to log in as a administrator. I don’t understand.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 12:27 PM

Hello Phyllis!

To make system-wide changes to your MacBook, an administrator password is needed to approve the request. If this is your MacBook and you created the account when setting it up you are the administrative user. In the case, just enter the password you use to log into your MacBook.

If you received the MacBook through school, work, etc. you'd need the IT team there to approve of the changes. If you share the MacBook with someone else and they were the one who setup the MacBook, you'll need their account credentials to authorize the change.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 12:27 PM in response to OreoKing

Hello Phyllis!

To make system-wide changes to your MacBook, an administrator password is needed to approve the request. If this is your MacBook and you created the account when setting it up you are the administrative user. In the case, just enter the password you use to log into your MacBook.

If you received the MacBook through school, work, etc. you'd need the IT team there to approve of the changes. If you share the MacBook with someone else and they were the one who setup the MacBook, you'll need their account credentials to authorize the change.

Why is my Mac asking for a password to login as administrator in order to update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.