Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie on Mac Studio issues

Hey guys, I recently bought the Mac studio: m1 max, 64gb ram, & 4tb flash drive. The rest of the specs are stock. I am a content creator. So I brought some old projects over from my old iMac via external hard drive. I did not do any integration. The issues I am having is lagging and extreme slowness. I have experienced this with1080 GoPro footage and also 4k drone footage. The only thing that stands out is, it happens when I do my initial editing, when the project is at its longest ranging from 1 hr to 1hr and a half. All my videos wind up under 30 mins when the edit is completed, most around 15 min mark. The only other thing I noticed was it happened also when I overlayed footage over a clip.

This was a big investment and my lively hood and it slows down my work flow down a lot, takes me longer to do everything because of the lag. I went threw my library and manually deleted some old projects that I probably won't use. So iMovie doesn't haven't to preload so many projects all at once. The whole point in getting the studio was for me to be able to dig back in old footage when need be. I never know when I made need to use something that I have already shot.

I am currently using the newest edition of iMovie. I don't see how I can be the only one experiencing these issues with this brand new machine. From everything I understand the Studio shouldn't be struggling at all especially because I haven't pushed it near its limits.

I bought the new studio to get away from all these problems that I experienced on my old outdated iMac from 2014. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and understanding.

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 7:43 AM

Try rebooting in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, shut down and reboot in normal mode. Sometimes that cures conflicts that can cause iMovie to become sluggish. Note: Do not try to open iMovie itself while in Safe Mode, because it won't open. You want just to boot in Safe Mode and then reboot in normal mode.

Here's a link that describes how to enter Safe Mode, depending on what chip your Mac is using:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 7:43 AM in response to Rich839

Try rebooting in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, shut down and reboot in normal mode. Sometimes that cures conflicts that can cause iMovie to become sluggish. Note: Do not try to open iMovie itself while in Safe Mode, because it won't open. You want just to boot in Safe Mode and then reboot in normal mode.

Here's a link that describes how to enter Safe Mode, depending on what chip your Mac is using:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

-- Rich

iMovie on Mac Studio issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.