Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated MacOS, then iMovie 8.0.6 to 10.1.12, lost projects and events

Hi folks, a friend of mine is having a serious issue with iMovie and while I'm technically savvy with computers, I don't use iMovie at all so please excuse any bad terminologies I use here.

He bought a Mac in Dec. 2016 and spent a good couple of years importing piles of video, editing them, creating videos, etc., etc., there's pages of projects in the list. Then he upgraded to Mac OS Mojave 10.14 and upgraded iMovie from 8.0.6 to 10.1.12.

In his words "everything is gone!!!" and he's extremely upset. What I see are a list of projects on the side but when you click on them, there's nothing inside. It reads 'Import Media':

I read others with the same issue so I tried to 'update projects and events' and the process starts, goes for a couple minutes, then it crashes with an error.

Can anyone help with my distraught friend?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 10:34 AM

Someone PM'd me and said I should call Apple so I'm actually trying that now, Apple support said to delete the 'UpdatedToiMovie10' file in the projects and events folders, open iMovie holding down Option key, create a new library, then 'update projects and events' and it's working through that right now, much longer than it was before. I'll update if that was successful or not, thanks for reading!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 10:34 AM in response to mugglewump

Someone PM'd me and said I should call Apple so I'm actually trying that now, Apple support said to delete the 'UpdatedToiMovie10' file in the projects and events folders, open iMovie holding down Option key, create a new library, then 'update projects and events' and it's working through that right now, much longer than it was before. I'll update if that was successful or not, thanks for reading!

Updated MacOS, then iMovie 8.0.6 to 10.1.12, lost projects and events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.