Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access Iphone files from Ipad

Hello!

I have just found out that I can charge my phone from my Ipad using the usb-c to lightning cable. I thought then to myself “well look, now I should be able to transfer files from one device to the other.” But for some reason I am not able to access either’s files (unless I use the Icloud Cloud-based space).

I thought this strange since I use my Ipad as my personal computer. Is it possible to look on the Iphone’s files with an Ipad, like one does with a computer? I suppose I expect something like this because Apple is so good at compatibility.

-K

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 8:51 PM

No you cannot do so. The file system in iOS and iPadOS is sandboxed and locked down. And thus there is no mechanism to browse the file system of one device from another. iOS and iPadOS are quite different from MacOS when it comes to file system access.

You can sync files to iCloud and thus access them with the same app from any device using that same iCloud account. So a file in Pages on the iPhone sync’d to iCloud is editable with Pages on an iPad or Mac and the changes made on any device will sync to all.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 8:51 PM in response to SpiritComputer

No you cannot do so. The file system in iOS and iPadOS is sandboxed and locked down. And thus there is no mechanism to browse the file system of one device from another. iOS and iPadOS are quite different from MacOS when it comes to file system access.

You can sync files to iCloud and thus access them with the same app from any device using that same iCloud account. So a file in Pages on the iPhone sync’d to iCloud is editable with Pages on an iPad or Mac and the changes made on any device will sync to all.

Access Iphone files from Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.