Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I see multiple contacts in my contacts

Why do I see multiple contacts in my contacts & how do I stop it from multiplying? Also, how to clean it?

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 1:02 AM

Zen-W Said:

"Why do I see multiple contacts in my contacts: Why do I see multiple contacts in my contacts & how do I stop it from multiplying? Also, how to clean it?"

-------

Seems you have duplicate contacts. So, refer to the following...

Troubleshooting Duplicate Contacts:

Contact Apple for Support:

1. Go Here: If you See Duplicate Contacts after Setting Up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: If you see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com, visit Apple Support for help.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 1:02 AM in response to Zen-W

Zen-W Said:

"Why do I see multiple contacts in my contacts: Why do I see multiple contacts in my contacts & how do I stop it from multiplying? Also, how to clean it?"

-------

Seems you have duplicate contacts. So, refer to the following...

Troubleshooting Duplicate Contacts:

Contact Apple for Support:

1. Go Here: If you See Duplicate Contacts after Setting Up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: If you see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com, visit Apple Support for help.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Jul 8, 2022 12:50 AM in response to Zen-W

Try this whether your contacts are in iCloud or in your chosen email account

(You might want to back up the phone first, and if your contacts are phone only you have no remedy)

Close Messages app. then for

Contacts in iCloud:

Settings, Your name, iCloud, Turn off contacts

Contacts in another email account:

Settings, Contacts, Accounts

Find the account with Contacts turned on. Turn contacts off  

When asked if you want to keep them, choose “delete from my iphone ”

Open Contacts app and it should be empty. ( If not then you have contacts stored on the phone but that woid be rare).

Power the phone off and back on.

Then

Contacts in iCloud:

Settings, Your name, iCloud, Contacts. Turn it On

Contacts in another email account:

Settings, Contacts, Accounts

Find the account with the Contacts again. Turn contacts On

Only turn "Contacts" on for one account. Choose one and stick to it. iCloud is recommended.

Open Contacts app and it should be re-populated.

Choosing just one account should prevent further duplication but if you still have duplicates on the one account you have two choices.

1. Manually clean them up - more easily done in a browser on a computer or
  2. Wait for iOS16 and use the new Remove Duplicates command that has been announced.

Why do I see multiple contacts in my contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.