Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my battery degradation normal?

I own a MacBook Air M1 that I got in November 2021. It currently has 55 cycles but Maximum capacity has dropped to 94%. Is this normal? I know a battery is considered good above 80% but at the rate the battery seems to be degrading it looks like it's gonna hit that threshold sooner that latter. Should I take this to be checked while it's still under warranty? Will it be considered abnormal or will they just shun me? 😅

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 7:16 AM

All batteries degrade with time, and yours is behaving normally.

Battery cycle count is, at best, just a guess as to max you'll get; the important metric is the capacity.

94% after 8-9 months is not a danger sign. Degradation is non linear and can sit at a given percent for long periods. My 2016 MBP original battery is at 89% and has been there for slightly over two years.

It will definitely hit a "threshold" sooner or later, but 94% now does not indicate "sooner".

But even if you do have a battery problem, don't do anything until capacity gets to 80%. Unless you have some sort of catastrophic failure like swelling or smoking. Of course you'd want to get that check out as soon as something like that happened.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 7:16 AM in response to sambriz

All batteries degrade with time, and yours is behaving normally.

Battery cycle count is, at best, just a guess as to max you'll get; the important metric is the capacity.

94% after 8-9 months is not a danger sign. Degradation is non linear and can sit at a given percent for long periods. My 2016 MBP original battery is at 89% and has been there for slightly over two years.

It will definitely hit a "threshold" sooner or later, but 94% now does not indicate "sooner".

But even if you do have a battery problem, don't do anything until capacity gets to 80%. Unless you have some sort of catastrophic failure like swelling or smoking. Of course you'd want to get that check out as soon as something like that happened.

Is my battery degradation normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.