Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If another device is being restored, will ICloud delete that backup?

So recently my old IPad pro got stuck in a boot loop and I had to reset it. I was already wanting to move the data to another iPad though but in case it didn’t work(I am a digital artist and don’t want to lose my art), I also restored the old one with the last backup. If the old one finish’s restoring first, will it erase a backup currently being used by the other iPad?

In other words, if two devices are being restored from the same backup and one finishes first, will it delete the backup? Sorry if this is worded weirdly!

Also is there a way to save a backup permanently?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 2:28 PM

Restoring from a backup creates a clone of the device from which the backup had been created. After the restore process has concluded, the original backup will remain intact - unless you intentionally delete the backup.

Each device has the ability to create its own backup - each being entirely independent of other devices and their associated backup.

In summary, you should have no immediate concern of losing your source backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 2:28 PM in response to mkg505

Restoring from a backup creates a clone of the device from which the backup had been created. After the restore process has concluded, the original backup will remain intact - unless you intentionally delete the backup.

Each device has the ability to create its own backup - each being entirely independent of other devices and their associated backup.

In summary, you should have no immediate concern of losing your source backup.

If another device is being restored, will ICloud delete that backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.