Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Pro and LG UltraFine 4K (from 2017) display does not reliably wake from computer sleep

I have a brand new M1 Max 14" MacBook Pro, and it often does not wake up my external LG UltraFine when returning from a standby state. The monitor is clearly connected, all external drives connected to the USB-C slots are still available, but the screen itself says off. I can trick it into waking back up by playing with the refresh rate and cycling through 48hz/30hz settings before returning back to 60hz, but does anyone have any ideas for a permanent fix?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 5:25 AM

Update (final?) - moving the 3 usb-powered SSDs from the LG Ultrafine to a dedicated powered hub worked. When I sat down at the computer this morning, the external monitor woke up instantly - no fiddling with refresh rates required. Will give it another day of testing, but feeling confident that this resolved the issue. I added a third SSD when I moved to my new 14" M1 MacBook, so I wasn't sure which of the new variables was the issue, but makes sense that there would be a power draw limit on the monitor's USB bus - 2 SSDs is the limit.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2022 5:25 AM in response to HellenButterlips

Update (final?) - moving the 3 usb-powered SSDs from the LG Ultrafine to a dedicated powered hub worked. When I sat down at the computer this morning, the external monitor woke up instantly - no fiddling with refresh rates required. Will give it another day of testing, but feeling confident that this resolved the issue. I added a third SSD when I moved to my new 14" M1 MacBook, so I wasn't sure which of the new variables was the issue, but makes sense that there would be a power draw limit on the monitor's USB bus - 2 SSDs is the limit.

Jul 9, 2022 3:32 PM in response to HellenButterlips

Hi HellenButterlips, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that your New MacBook Pro is often not able to wake up your external monitor.

We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you.

Have you had the chance to use a different cable?

Have you had the acne to use a different port on your MacBook Pro?

In the meantime, we recommend that you check if the issue persists when signed in on a different user account. 

The article below can help if you do not have any other user account to test with.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you are experiencing the issue when signed in on a different user account, we recommend that you check if the issue persists while on safe mode. 

Below is an article to help guide you through the process.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Take care!

Jul 11, 2022 6:52 AM in response to dawngreg08

Quick update: not resolved. Woke up this morning to the same issue with a new cable. A quick cycling of refresh rates resolved it. I wonder if having three bus powered SSDs connected to the monitor is part of the problem. I've ordered a powered thunderbolt 4 hub that I'll test when it arrives this week, and will test other ports...once I have a long enough thunderbolt cable to reach them.

Jul 15, 2022 6:27 AM in response to HellenButterlips

Once again this morning, the monitor would not wake without jostling the refresh rate. I'm going to try testing the windows that are open on that display when it goes to sleep. I've had sessions of MS Edge (Beta) open for the past ~24hrs. Will close edge next time and see if there's a connection between sleep state issues and display contents.

M1 Macbook Pro and LG UltraFine 4K (from 2017) display does not reliably wake from computer sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.